making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Saturday 24 February 2007

Chinese New Year

CNY Eve
Since my parents were still in UK, I was left with the responsibility of preparing the CNY reunion dinner. I wished I had paid more attention while they were preparing it in the past. But not to worry, I took the easy way out. No, we didn't eat out. It would not have been right, for us, that is. I ordered seafood steamboat platter from a supermarket. It really cut down the work but I still had to make several trips to the market during the week before CNY to get the vegetables and so on. My friends laughed at me for going to the market so often. Hahaha.

CNY 1st and 2nd Day
The 1st and 2nd Days of CNY were a breeze. My parents weren't around so no one came visiting. We only had to go visiting on the 1st Day and we lazed around and watched TV. One of the most relaxing CNY ever... until ...

CNY 3rd Day
The 3rd day, I invited my friends over for a dinner gathering. I was asking for it. Well, having seen my mother entertained friends and family all the time at our place, I happily assumed that I was able to do it too. I am my mother's daughter after all. SO I can't be that far off, right?! Hahaha.

For dinner, we had pork chops simmered in orange juice, chicken in mushroom suace, tumeric rice, stir-fried string bean with minced pork, potato salad, steamed garlic prawns and winter melon soup. For dessert, we had lemon cheesecake, honey dew melon, ice cream (various flavours) and jellies. I have never cooked so much and for so many people. I hoped my friends had enough to eat and at least had a good time over at my place (even if I was really too out of it to have decent conversations with any of them).

It was nice to just be with good friends: eating, talking and laughing away. No need to to put on pretenses and masks, just be ourselves. Yar, I had a good time despite being tired from the cooking and the unnecessary stress I put on myself to have a successful gathering. My friends, you have been a wonderful lot, telling me it has been a good party and the food was good too. Phew!

Thank you, my friends for being you: Theresa and Lawrence, Dennis and Joyce, Yee Zher and Su Zhen, Clara and Stanley, and Bai Rui.

PS: Someone said if I have gatherings more often, I will get used to them and not be so stressed out. Hmm...so MY FRIENDS, are you ready for another gathering at my place?! =) Hahaha.

No comments: