making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 12 March 2007

300 - Prepare for GLORY!

I went to watch a movie today. My hubby was like "Alone?". Yar, and then?! He is getting old, he has forgotten I used to watch movies on my own. My record was 4 movies in 1 day, yes, at the theatre! Anyway, I digressed.

I saw "300". I think it is one of the best movies I have seen. Before you all start sniggerring and winking away, I went for "300" because of the story - in 480 B.C., Spartan King Leonidas and his 300 men fought against the Persian soldiers under Xerxes at the Battle of Thermopylae. Fine, the fab abs on the bods of those hunks in 300 is just an added bonus, ok, a BIG BONUS! Hahaha. I have always been interested in the history and legends of ancient civilisations - Egypt, Minoan, Mesopotamia, Mycenae, Phoneicians, Greece, Rome, China, Moche, Maya, Byzantine, Anasazi, Aztec, Inca, Anglo-Saxon Britain. When "300" opened here, I went for it.


"300" is a very well-made movie. However, it is not for the faint-hearted or those who will faint at the sight of blood as there are very graphic and vivid scenes of blood and gore. The fight scenes and fight sequences are GREAT! And they are paired with great rock music and slow-mo effect (think Matrix). It was like watching a beautiful dance. (Ok, by now, you would have realised that I like violence, but only in movies. I do NOT advocate violence in real life.) I think "300" is going to become one of the great classics, one of the epic movies in the new millenium. Not just because of the fight scenes and sequences in "300", more because of the values that "300" is advocating, the Spartan values which are still applicable in today's society - duty, discipline, determination, loyalty, respect, honour, courage and strength. I watched the movie this morning and the scenes from the movie are still re-enacting in my mind and the message from the movie still reverberating in my mind. Such is the power of "300" on me.

Dark skies forebode in Warner Bros. Pictures' 300 - 2007 (Source: Yahoo! Movies)


Warriors take their places at the front of the deadly Spartan phalanx in Warner Bros. Pictures' 300 - 2007 (Source: Yahoo! Movies)


Narrated at the end of "300":

"Go, tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie."
Epitaph of Simonides at Burial Mound of Spartans at Thermopylae

Epitaph at Thermopylae (Source: Wikipedia)


I would strongly encourage anyone who is into history, action, and drama to watch "300" on the big screen, digital too if possible, to get the full effect of "300". Forget about watching it on DVD, the effect just won't be the same.

Here's the trailer for "300"


300 - Trailer 2

Oh, if anyone wants to watch "300", give me a call. I am up for watching it again, anytime.

PS. Those interested to know a little more about Sparta, Leonidas, Battle of Thermopylae can find information in Wikipedia.

No comments: