making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Tuesday 27 March 2007

Pre-school Fieldtrip to Singapore Discovery Centre

Today, Marieann's and Julaine's pre-school organised a family outing to Singapore Discovery Centre. I jumped on the chance to accompany my girls on this fieldtrip. No, it's not because I haven't been there before. In fact, I have been to SDC but it was a couple of year back when I was teaching in school. I have been thinking about going back (you'll know why later). This opportunity came up so I just grabbed it.


In school while waiting for the transport to SDC

There were 3 busload full of parents and kids. We arrived at 9am+ and were immediately taken on a SAFTI Military Institute bus tour (a 20 min tour). This is new to me. I don't remember bringing my students on a bus tour around SAFTI at my last SDC visit. Trust me, I would remember if we did because there is a A4 Skyhawk on the grounds of SAFTI. (In case those of you still don't know, I am into aircrafts, especially fighter aircrafts.) But I do remember the A4 that's outside of SDC, it was there the last time too. We saw the Parade Square, SAFTI Tower (which all those who have been through NS and reservist would be very familar with and "fond of", hahaha), Officer Cadet School, Ceremonial Hall, SAFTI MI HQ, SAFTI Entrance, etc. The bus tour was nice, especially seeing the A4 (the aircarft, not A4 size paper), the tank and guns. But I found the whole thing very propaganda-ish. (NB. There's nothing wrong with your eyesight, so quit rubbing your eyes. That line was meant to be tiny! Why? Just to be safe than sorry, you know what I mean?!)

SAFTI Tower


A4 Skyhawk

Next, we went back to SDC and were ushered into the iWERK theater to watch "Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag". When it was announced during the bus tour that we were going to watch this movie, I almost flipped with joy! I think from that point on, I was more happy and excited about the whole fieldtrip than my daughters were. The movie was about an air-force pilot's intense training programme at Nevada's Nellis Air Force Base. I could name all the aircrafts on the movie: there were A10, F15 Eagle, F16 Falcon, F18 Hornet, Tornado, F117, B2, and E2C Hawkeye, etc, etc. The dogfight scenes (here it means the airborne combat), the roars of the aircrafts, ... The movie was so cool! I could feel my adrenalin pumping too. Something funny: a parent overheard me when I was naming the aircrafts and explaining to my girls the techincal bits of the combat, he asked if I am working in the Air Force. Hahaha. I will take that as a compliment.



We had a quick lunch. I went through the SDC exhibits quickly with my girls, as we only had 30 minutes left before meeting at the bus at 12pm. I really wanted to try my hand at the Shooting Gallery, using real SAR 21 rifles but there was just no time. (I think I tried something like that that before at Paya Lebar Air Force Open House and had lots of fun.) Another time perhaps. Before we returned to the bus, I dragged my girls somewhere for 1 photo shoot. No prize for guessing with what. Yes, I dragged them back to the A4 we passed by, outside of SDC. Hahaha.

The girls posing with A4 Skyhawk


Juliane and I (Marieann was asleep) on the trip home

All in all, it has been a very good day. I got to spend time with my girls on an outing and as an added bonus, I got to see my aircrafts in a fighter pilot movie.

Oh, another good end to the day. I won Toto! Hee hee. It is just a very SMALL amount lah.

A message to a good friend: ORH! I know how! Can sleep tonight. Hahaha.

No comments: