making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Friday 23 March 2007

What's the SCARIEST movie you have seen?

A friend asked me today, "What's the best horror/ scariest movie you have seen so far?". It's a no-brainer for me. (No-brainer means anything requiring little thought or effort; something easy or simple to understand or do. It is NOT an offensive word and definitely not used to offend the person who asked me the question. Just suddenly remembered how a politician used that same word and was bombarded by the public.)

To me, the best horror/ scariest movie I have seen so far is "ALIEN". I can still remember its tagline: "In space, no one can hear screams". I first saw it when I was in Sec 2 (I was too young to see it in 1979 when it was released in the cinema). My father had just bought the LD player and the "Alien" LD, and I invited my friends over to see it. The scary factor went up with the superb B & O surround sound system, which connected the B & O hi-fi system to the B & O television. It was almost like in the cinema. The action of "Alien" was onboard the commercial starship Nostromo: just lots of dark, narrow, confined spaces, and ONE alien. That was all that it took to make "Alien" a great horror movie, oh yeah and the "horror" music, of course.

The others in the "Alien" series - Aliens, Aliens 3, Alien Resurrection, Alien Vs Predator are not too bad but none compared to "Alien" in terms of the horror factor. By the way, there are rumours of Alien 5 coming out in 2008. We shall see...

The best horror/ scariest movie I have seen is "Alien". So what's yours?

No comments: