making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Tuesday 20 March 2007

Why do PhD?

"Why are you doing a PhD?", many a friend have asked me that. Some even told me point blank that I was the person they least expected to do a PhD. (Hey, that stings a little.) But know what? Me too. Really. Serious. I never expected myself to be doing a PhD too.

I did apply to do a PhD for all the wrong reasons - out of fun and out of curiosity just to see what it takes to get in. (Ok, some of you may be swearing at me for making light of doing a PhD, like Dennis. Sorry.) I NEVER expected myself to get in BUT I did! Well, I am not a quitter so I went through with the PhD. But I must say I have been quite or rather VERY LUCKY in the course of my PhD. By LUCK (more, if I haven't used it all up yet), I should be able to do my oral defence BEFORE the end of this year and GRADUATE. ALL MUST HELP PRAY FOR ME, OK?! In case, you all start to think that I am having an easy time doing my PhD, it is NOT like that all the time. I do suffer from the usual baloney of doing a PhD - writer's block, agony and stress ("WHY am I torturing myself like this?!") ...

However, as I continued on this PhD journey, I have gained much. Not just knowledge, I also gained a better insight about myself, that I have determination, perseverance, strength, courage, faith, patience, .... Most importantly, I learnt that I can still LEARN.

Some quotes that I like:

Taking charge of your own learning is a part of taking charge of your life, which is the sine qua non in becoming an integrated person. - Warren Bennis

Learn to live, and live to learn, Ignorance like a fire doth burn, Little tasks make large return. - Bayard Taylor, To My Daughter

Learn what you are and be such. - Pindar

Curiosity is the wick in the candle of learning. - William A. Ward

Education is a social process ... Education is growth.... Education is, not a preparation for life; education is life itself. - John Dewey

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. - B.b. King

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young. - Henry Ford

No comments: