making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 23 April 2007

Books - Borrow or Rent?

Ok, still on books and reading. Sorry, it's my favourite pastime, besides eating. Hahaha. So just bear with me.

To my Bookworm Secret Admirer (Aiyo, really can't disclose who you are?! It's becoming a mouthful now to address you. Hahaha.):

"Now explain something to me, dear hweiming - why 'buy' from Sunny?" Yar, you are right, for almost the same price, I can buy the books new. Let's see: I borrow the books from the library and return them after reading. If I like the books, I wait for the 20-30% discount offers from Border/ Kinokuniya to get them. You see, I am a very lazy person. Hahaha. It will be far easier to just rent from Sunny (but I will often get the brand new ones and bonus, they are already wrapped) and if I like the book, I don't even have to return to the shop. So if I like the book, it is 3 trips with the library option versus 1 trip with Sunny option. Hahaha. Happy with my answer? =)

Hmm...George R R Martin's Fire and Ice series. How many books so far? I gave up reading Eddings' The Belgariad after the 4th book, lost patience. But I like Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings series (actually I prefer the books to the movies) and the appendices were really interesting read by themselves. So if it is along Tolkien's line, can consider. Hahaha. Yup, I have heard of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders series but this series has got like what, 18/19 books and still counting! Remember, me no patience. Hahaha. Why not, you just give me a summary of each book? Hahaha.

Hmm...it seems you are more into fantasy and thriller. What about Sci-Fi? Any interest there? I have only managed to read a few books here and there of the "Star Trek", "Star Wars" and "Dune" series. But for my first intro to Sci-Fi, it was the Battlestar Galactica series. I read all 14 books of the BG classic series. BG now has a new series of books, have yet to look at them.
What about comics? You read comics?

PS. I am down to a few names on my list, not many people read so extensively and on such genres. Hahaha.

6 comments:

hweiming said...

My Bookworm Secret Admirer,

Tolkien has just released a new epic tale: "The Chilren of Hurin" at Borders. You probably already know this. :)

hweiming

Anonymous said...

You'll like these...

The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

Trojan War Trilogy by David Gemmell. Sadly, David Gemmell passed away so be sure to check out his earlier books, you won't be disapointed.

Y.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Y on Trudi Canavan although the story is pretty mainstream. Try Naomi Novik's dragon series about the use of dragons during the Napoleonic wars (imagine dragons as planes and you get the idea). Interesting concept!

http://www.temeraire.org/

About Sunny bookshop - sure you save 2 trips but if you DON'T like the book and wish to return it, you stand to lose more money right? Plus looking for books in Sunny is like looking for a needle in a haystack! And you have car park fees too! And the books may not be available there (especially if you're reading a series!)

Go NLB! It's for a good cause, and you're already paying for it with your tax dollars (along with supporting fat cat ministers!)

Battlestar Galactica has a really fantastic new TV series that you have to watch if you enjoyed the book or the original 80s TV series. I think you can rent the new series from places like Video Ezy or buy it.

Used to be a sci fi reader but I've found the recent cyberpunk style of scifi to be not my taste. What about horror? Try Dean Koontz (quite good for horror thriller) and if you want a saucy vampire horror type series, Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake is quite interesting (rated M21 though!)... so keep away from your kids!

What about you.. you like comics?

A Horror Too Secret Admirer

Anonymous said...

oh... and it's been nice talking to someone with such similar tastes in books!! So rare to find a like minded soul!!!

Your Secret Admirer

hweiming said...

Hi Y,

Thanks for your recommendations. Read my latest post, if you have the time. Glad to have made a friend with similar reading interest. Keep in touch.

hweiming

hweiming said...

My dear Bookworm, Horror too Secret Admirer,

Thanks for the long comment. =) Go read my post again for my response. LOL. Keep in touch.

hweiming