making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Tuesday 24 April 2007

Fantasy, Sci-fi, Horror, Comics...

For a moment, I thought you have decided to reveal your identity as "Y", Secret Admirer. Sigh. Happy too soon. Hahaha. Ok, so there are 2 separate persons who commented on my post: "Books - Borrow or Rent?".

Thank you for your recommendations, Y. Haven't heard of Trudi Canavan (sorry :( ) but I did a quick search on the net and read a bit of the extracts of The Black Magician Trilogy. It is pretty interesting. As for David Gemmell, I thought he sounded very familiar. Went to dig into my bookshelf and I found Gemmell's graphic novel, Legend. Hmm..I guess I am reading alot more than I realised. Trojan War trilogy seems very captivating with my favourite combination of fantasy and ancient history. Will definitely keep these authors and titles in mind. Thanks again, Y.

As for you, my Bookworm, Horror too Secret Admirer (told you, it is getting to be too much of a mouthful! So why don't you just tell me who you are?! Hahaha.), why are you so keen for me to go to NLB? Are you sure you don't work for NLB?! An undercover NLB agent perhaps...Hahaha. Yes, I do have to pay some fees for renting the books but just treat it as having one less dessert. :) But I don't have to pay for car park fees cos I don't drive. Hahaha.
Ok, being into aircrafts too, I think Naomi Novik's Temeraire will, without doubt, be on my list of books to read. Oh my gosh, do you realise how long my book list has just gotten?! Hahaha.

I am a big Battlestar Galactica fan. I have read the BG classic books and I have the original BG series on DVD, a birthday present from my lovely brother who is currently residing in UK. Yup, I have also seen the new BG series. Took abit of getting used to the gender changes of Starbuck and Boomer. I like this new series, it is darker but more in-depth development to all characters. I think they will be producing Season 4 in 2008 and it may be the last season. (Needs to check up on this, it would be a shame though to end it so soon.)

I like Horror too but I haven't ventured very far with this genre. Only read Edgar Poe, Anne Rice (The Mayfair Witch series), and Stephen King (the odd book here and there). Dean Koontz and Laurell Hamilton, you say? My list has just ballooned again! Hahaha.

Comics. Yes, I like reading them. Why not? =) I have read graphic novels like Batman/Dracula series, Gemmell's Legend; comics like The X-files, X-Men, X-Generation; manga like Akira, Appleseed, Fist of North Star; and Chinese comics like Tian Xia. So what do you read?

Thanks for the recommendations! If I am behind in my writing, I know who to blame. Hahaha.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not "Y" that much you can be certain. I'm "SA" for brevity's sake.

Here's a challenge - if you can identify me, I will be your personal Sunny and lend (not GIVE) you the books for your distraction. If you can't, it's off to NLB for you!

Your comic range sounds dated.. Btw did you know that there's a new appleseed dvd/movie out that's really cool? This is the newer anime (not the old Appleseed done in the early-mid 90s). So where do you buy your comics from (don't say sunny!)? Maybe we might have even crossed paths once without realising!

hweiming said...

Yar, my comics range is dated. The only one I am still following closely is Tian Xia. Can't afford the time and space to continue with the rest. Hahaha. No, you can rest assured I didn't get my comics from Sunny. Hahaha. Are you sure we might have crossed paths only once?! Hahaha.

When was the Appleseed out, the new one I mean? Haven't been watching much anime recently, too busy reading. Hahaha.

Talk to you later.

Anonymous said...

Try audiobooks, great stuff to help concentrate.

Also GO digital with your books and comics!

Are watching the new Sci-fi series HEROES. Fantastic!!! currently up to episode 19 of 23 (season 1)

Here a link to watch it all online:
http://www.tv-links.co.uk/

...and also catch up on your anime.

one to watch:
Naruto (you will like this)
Samurai Champloo
Deathnote

You should be able to find books by david gemmell on the bookshelf or keep away with the comics..!?!

and thx for doing the form.

Y

Anonymous said...

Have to agree with Y that Heroes is a great series, although I think it's quickly becoming something akin to the XMen House of M storyline (apocalyptic future with superpowered beings becoming the norm, I think). Still it was great to see Stan Lee in the series lol :)

Appleseed - you should be able to find it in shops like Laserflair.. It's been fully ramped up, CGI spectacular and all that.

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders - go through the books in chronological order is the best recommendation. I've not read her later books but still loved her earlier ones...

Have we crossed paths more than once? Maybe so... maybe so! After all, the island is small! But definitely not in Sunny (although I do go in once in a while when there's no other bookshops around, like at Far East Plaza).

Mutant Secret Admirer

hweiming said...

Still cracking my head over who u might be. Anyway, got a post for you again. Please answer the questions. Would really appreciate it!!! =) Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Yup, watched Heroes for the first few episodes until it clashed with CSI at the same time. But no worries, someone managed to burn onto a CD the whole of Heroes Season 1. Will watch it one of these days, all at 1 go. Hahaha

hweiming said...

Hi my Bookworm, horror too, mutant secret admirer,
Just couldn't resist doing it. Hahaha. Now I can't wait to see what is the next descriptor. =)

Oh yes, kept forgetting about this. Yes, I agree with you. It is great to find someone with similar reading interests, definitely not easy! So keep the communication line open.:)