making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Friday 6 April 2007

Good Friday; 观音诞

It is a coincidence that today is both Good Friday as well as Guan Yin Dan (Guan Yin's birthday).

Since it is a public holiday, I was able to help out at our temple (near Somerset MRT, behind SingTel). I started going to this temple since I was young by following my mother. This temple is famous for the vegetarian food (free) that they serve to their worshippers on special occasions such as Guan Yin Dan, Vesak Day, etc. They would serve vegetarian porridge, followed by laksa (this is the ONE that most go for, including me :) ), fried mee hoon with curry vegetable, fruits, dessert and drinks. It is not a very big temple but it has many worshippers and it has a very long history. The food that they sell for charity is also famous for the yummy factor and the hand-made factor. Often, we have people ordering in advance what they wanted or they would come very early in order to get what they wanted. We have often heard worshippers who regreted coming late as their favourite food item(s) was/ were sold out.

As usual, I was helping out with the selling of food for charity (I have always been doing this since I started volunteering my service in my mid 20s). I was there from 7:45am till 2pm, standing almost the whole time. It is hard to sit down when you are trying to pack the food, collect the payment and giving back the change.

I also learnt alot about human nature through these charity sales. I thought I would have seen the different kinds of people at one charity sale but it never fails to amaze me that I am still learning about human nature at each charity sale. Maybe because I am a student of psychology, I tend to see more into it/ analyse more deeply - the human behaviours and thoughts.

Although it was very tiring, I felt really good, happy and contented because I am doing something meaningful (the money from the charity sale goes back into charity, such as for the blind, handicap, poor, etc). I will have a very good night's sleep tonight.

P.S. Actually, already had a nap in the afternoon but can do with more sleep! =)

No comments: