making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Wednesday 4 April 2007

Writer's Block & Procrastination!

writer's block - n. A usually temporary psychological inability to begin or continue work on a piece of writing. (Source: American Heritage Dictionary)

procrastination - n. The act of procrastinating; putting off or delaying or defering an action to a later time. (Source: WordNet)

It's been confirmed. I am suffering from both Writer's Block and Procrastination, a truly lethal combination. With the writer's block, I haven't been able to write much for the last chapter of my dissertation. I am so near to the end and yet still so far away! Many kind friends have been offering advice on how to break out of it - take a break/ rest before coming back to the writing; do a word count to see how much more I need to write; leave it until panic hits; ... . Procrastination is definitely not helping with the writer's block problem. It just perpetuates the writer's block problem. Before I knew it, it's now a vicious cycle.

writer's block --> procrastination --> More writer's block --> More procrastination

Help me, anyone?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

all the blockage u have mention is due to yr passion is not strong enough to push you thro it. go back to the begining on why u wan to do yr Phd? by having strong intention you could complete the last chapter.

hweiming said...

thanks, friend. will definitely think through this carefully and hopefully, I will get writing soon! :)

Anonymous said...

not hopefully. IS A MUST!

from the same anonymous

hweiming said...

Wah, u slave driver?! Hahaha. Ok, it is a MUST!

hweiming said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hweiming said...

Sorry, I am very curious. Wondering if I do know you, Anonymous. If not, I would be glad to make a new friend. Whatever it is, drop me a message at things.unfair@gmail.com
Hope to hear from you.