making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 21 May 2007

Cemetery

Ok, some of you are going to think, "What a title for a post!". Well, it is what I am going to talk about... Told you I have some unusual interests. Hahaha.

How many of you have actually been in a cemetery? Not including those visits you have to make because you have to pay your respects, you are there because you just want to visit the cemetery, the place itself. Anyone? None. Hmm... Why? What is so scary about going to the cemetery?

I have always found the cemetery an intriguing place. I mean you can actually learn a lot of things just from looking at the tombstones - history, architecture, sculpture, philosophy. When I was studying in Brisbane, Australia, I visited The Toowong Cemetery a few times. It is nice to walk among the tombstones and reading the inscriptions on them as you go. You learn to value life. Closer to home, for starters, so that you won't feel scared, would be the Fort Canning History Park where the old tombstones from the old Christian Cemetery have been repositioned along the old walls. But it doesn't really count as a cemetery, right? Hahaha.

Anyway, I hope I can get to visit the other cemeteries in Singapore before they are gone forever, taking away a piece of our history with them.

Updated 22 May 2007, 9:22pm
Someone asked me how did this post come about? Well, sometimes I have to use Sime Road to get home and there is an cemetery. There you go. :)

No comments: