making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Tuesday 22 May 2007

Discipline Panel

I met my friend, Nic, at our organisation's D & D in early February 2007. He recognised me at once when I was called onto stage for one of the performances. He claimed I haven't changed a bit since we last parted 10 years ago. Flatterer. Hahaha. We actually have been working at the same place for some time now but our paths never crossed. Who would have thought we would meet again after so long and at the D & D! Hahaha. Anyway, we met up for lunch. When he realised I am also a school counsellor, he invited me to be part of a panel to discuss about discipline in schools. I agreed at once. Why not? For friends, I am most willing to be of help.

Today was the panel discussion on School Programmes for Discipline. I was one of four panel discussants. There was a HOD (Discipline), a Vice Principal, a Guidance Officer from MOE HQ and myself, a School Counsellor. Guess what, the guidance officer happened to be my friend too. We used to work together when I was at MOE HQ as an Educational Psychologist. It was a friends' gathering again. Hahaha.

The audience turn-out was huge, about 300 people and there weren't enough seats. Thus, people had to sit on the steps as well in the lecture theatre. Each of us, the discussants, took turns to speak about our role in the school and how we help to support the discipline in the school. After which, we answered quite a few questions from the audience.

Overall, it was a great session. I felt really good that I could use my expertise to help these beginning teachers. If Nic ever needs my help again in a similar capacity, no problem! Oh yes, the session was also video-taped to be used as future reference material. Yeah, I am famous!? Hahaha. Yes, yes, I know, cheap thrill. =)

PS. Slept only at 5am this morning. Was up almost the whole night, working on my writing and chatting with a good friend. I think I ended up chatting more than writing! Hahaha. I told myself I would not take a nap no matter how tired or sleepy I am. Alas, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I fell asleep while reading L. Hamilton. Thought it would have kept me awake! Looks like another long night ahead. LOL.

No comments: