making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Sunday 20 May 2007

Enbloc Craze

It took me a long time to decide if I should ever write about this on my blog. It is definitely something that I DO NOT FIND tasteful. Sorry for the pun, none intended. (Those who know me well will understand.)

For so long, we have only been reading about the "success" of enblocs and the "millions of dollars" to be gained, everyone is "happy", blah, blah, blah. Oh, you are feeling contempt pouring out of me?? GOOD! I don't intend to be polite about this.

The papers have been pretty lopsided in their reports. What BALANCE?! Maybe I still have a naive view about the world but what happened to the newspapers which are supposed to be impartial, objective, balanced and to bring the truth to people? Now what "truth" and whose "truth"? I am sure we are all aware whose truth it is, we shan't go into it. No point really. The biased articles have, in part, been instrumental to the fuelling of the enbloc craze that we see all over our island while bending the truth to a dangerous level. Has it been as rosy a picture as the articles painted? NO! Definitely NOT everyone gained, NOT everyone is happy, even our society stands to LOSE as social values are quickly being ERODED (community, neighbourliness, tolerance, respect for others, valuing values, ...)

A home is so much more than just financial gain. What happens to the memories, to the heart and soul of a home, of a family? Whatever happened to the social stakes that were encouraged by our then-PM Mr Goh (1995), "There is no better stake in the country than a flat or a house"? The government encourages us to be stayers, not quitters. But frankly, it is kind of difficult to be a stayer when you are evicted from your own home due to some people who can't see beyond the short-term monetary gain. Is this how the government encourages ownership?? This enbloc craze is fast becoming a "runaway train" gaining momentum and possibly out of control!

At least, I take heart that the government is now trying to do something with its recent Ministry of Law Public Consultation on the proposed amendments to the en bloc sale legislation (which ended on 12 May). I earnestly pray it will not become just a paper exercise.
And I am also heartened with the fact that the flip side of enbloc sales, of people who are against enblocs are slowing surfacing in the newspapers, which is long overdue! Let's hope the newspapers continue to give more balance to their reports.

I must apologise to my friends who are used to reading my lighthearted posts. This post, I agree, is a somber one for enbloc is an issue that weighs heavily on my heart. Thanks for bearing with me and for listening to my personal (erratic) thoughts. I shall not speak of this again on my blog,... unless circumstances indicate otherwise...

No comments: