making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Thursday 3 May 2007

"Ice Station" by Matthew Reilly

3 May 2210 hours: Mission accomplished. Target: "Ice Station" eliminated.

Yup, I have finished reading the book "Ice Station". Hahaha. As the title suggested, it is a story about an ice station, Wilkes Station in Antarctica. Strange things (yes again, if not there won't be a story to tell, hahaha) are happening under the ice station, beneath the ice shelf. It has US Marines, elite military teams from France and Britain, and US SEAL fighting for a secret buried under the ice. There are some pretty good and engaging accounts of combat scenes, and weaponry used. There were also a few fighter aircrafts mentioned such as F-22, F-117A, B-2A and E-2000.

Hmm...I think guys would enjoy reading this book more than gals. Hey, don't get me wrong. I didn't say it is a book for the guys because I didn't like the book. In fact, I ENJOYED reading the book because I am no stranger to fighter aircrafts, combat scenes as those described in the book. I think all these are interesting! Yes, I have been told I am a strange one, for a girl to have such boyish likings. Hahaha. So yes, I think guys would like this book for the above mentioned elements and I know there aren't that many girls who like stuff like that. For example, I haven't found anyone I can talk fighter aircrafts with, other than my guy friends. Sorry, I side tracked easily. Hahaha.


Yes, "Ice Station" has been non-stop action almost since the first few pages right up to the end. There are many chapters (but each one is only of a few pages long) and each one is a cliff hanger. You won't be able to put the book down once you have started on it! Good luck.

Have fun reading this one. Hwei Ming out.

PS. Now that I have finished my book, it's back to writing. So if anyone is out there with nothing better to do, feel free to drop in. I will welcome the distraction to chat ANYTIME. Hahaha.

5 comments:

hweiming said...

Huh, another admirer? No lah. You flatter me, SA. Hahaha. Yar, it looks that way, my world and my life revolves round books and written words. :)

So you went to the library. Is it crowded at night? You went to get another Martin book? Reilly books are quite easy to read and action-packed. So you would be so engrossed that you lose track of time. As a first read for Reilly? Hmm..I like this one very much, it was my first read by Reilly - "Seven Ancient Wonders". It combines two of my favourite topics - action and ancient history/ civilisation. Not sure if it is to your taste. Give it a browse at the library or even better, you could borrow the book from me and there is no need to pay for renewal charges. :)

No lah, I don't have expensive taste in food. If I did, it would have been lobster, caviar, foie gras and whatever else that is expensive. HAHAHA. I do eat at hawker centres too, you know. Really, no joke. :) Chicken rice for 3 dollars, you say? I can get it for $2! Hahaha.

Btw, have been wanting to ask you something. Hope you can be honest. Why my blog? I mean, there are so many blogs out there which are tons more interesting than mine, so what made you decide to give my blog a read? And to continue reading it? Oh no, I am definitely not complaining here. I'm definitely flattered that people are interested to read my blog. Just want to know what people see that I don't see. Hope you can tell me why.

Not sure if you can tell, I deploying delay tactics here to avoid doing work. Hahaha. Ok, better get back to work. Talk to you later.

Anonymous said...

I think i was initially 'shocked' that a gal like you would read Reilly, then was even more 'shocked' to hear that you go to Sunny (which I could never understand). I guess I had to shake the joy of NLB into you and find out what other books you liked to read!

I'm a monoblogger, ie, tend to be faithful to one blog only LOL. Guess that's yours! Besides, you update it fairly regularly so I won't get bored too quickly!

Lobster, foie gras etc is SUPER expensive food LOL.. Chicken Rice for $2?? What, without the chicken?? LOL

How about movies? Seen any good ones lately?

hweiming said...

You mean gals don't read Reilly, really?! I never realised that my taste in reading were that different from other gals. Who wouldn't want to read action, thriller, suspense, horror, fantasy, comics?! Reading them are the joys of life! Hahaha. Ok, maybe I am a little different. Hahaha. So pray tell, pretend that I have never told you what I like to read, what did you expect a gal like me to read? Really, I am interested to know what you thought.

You mean you only follow one blog?! Now, I am really FLATTERED! Yar, I do update fairly regularly, in fact, it's everyday! Hahaha. So you have no chance to be bored! Hahaha. But I still don't understand, how did you chance upon my blog? You mean you decided to type in Reilly on BlogSearch and then saw my blog?

Actually, I don't take lobster, foie gras, etc very often, only once in a blue moon. Besides, I don't like the taste of foie gras. HAHAHA. Yes, Chicken Rice for $2! And with chicken meat!!!! Hahaha. You are paying too much for your chicken rice. HAHAHA.

Movies...I like the same genres as the books I read. The only recent movie I have seen is "300". Here's my blog post about it: http://hweimingblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/300-prepare-for-glory.html
And this other blog post will tell you more about the kind of movies I like:
http://hweimingblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/another-movie-soon.html

I am dying to see another movie soon! Any recommendations?

So what movies do you like?

hweiming said...

Forgot to tell you: Stay tuned! Updating my blog tonight. Hahaha.

Anonymous said...

You have a very MASCULINE taste in movies and books!!! I mean, and this is stereotyping here but hey if some authors can make millions from stereotypes like "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus", then I can do the same... girls tend to go for those chick flicks and chicklit... you know... like Painted Veil, Devil Wears Prada, Finding Neverland, Little Miss Sunshine, books like travel fiction, Alexander mcCall smith etc etc.

Not 300. And certainly not Hannibal Rising LOL.

So.. if you check out GV listings, would you watch Summer Palace or 200 Pound Beauty? (Everything's now on Spiderman 3 anyway)...

It was "The Swarm" that found your blog LOL...

Okay, $2 chicken rice has rice, but the chicken is some poor starved creature from Botswana right??