making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 7 May 2007

Spiderman 3 and NLB

As planned last night, I went to see "Spiderman 3" at 10:15am, Lido. I had wanted to go to Bugis initially but I was running late. So the nearest cinema, I went. Morning is a good time to watch movies because there aren't many people around. It was just me, my sweet popcorn and Spiderman. Hahaha.

"Spiderman 3" is definitely better than the first two in terms of character development, and much more action sequences. You now have two villains instead of the usual one villain - Sandman and Venom. I used to read Spiderman comics and I remembered reading about Venom. I was interested to see how they would portray it in the movie.
Overall, "Spiderman 3" is action-packed and exciting. There's action and there's a story line of secret, vengeance, love and forgiveness. What more can you ask for. Hahaha. The only downside, to me at least, was that the ending seemed to be a little too abrupt and too good to be true. Maybe they ran out of time to do a proper wrap-up, after all the movie went for 140 minutes. I shan't say anymore in case I give away more than I should of the story. The soundtrack is quite good too, especially the song "Signal Fire" by Snow Patrol. Yes, I sat there in the darkness until the end of the credits. I have too much time, some of you would say. Hahaha.

There are two scenes that are stuck in my mind from "Spiderman 3":
- the one where Spiderman (in black) was on the church spire like a gargoyle - it was a very powerful imagery that spoke louder than words and actions, there just so much emotion in that simple image, and
- the one (at the end) where Peter (Spiderman) and Harry spoke about being friends, best friends. I am touched by this scene because I am one person who treasures friendship very much.

After the movie, I went down to NLB. Yes, again. Hahaha. I went to return my books as well as to borrow more books. I took SA's suggestions and borrowed two books by Preston & Child: "The Cabinet of Curiosities" and "Dance of Death"
I also borrowed a third book, "Freakonomics" for my friend. (There's no way I would read such books. It's on a subject that I really dislike - economics. Hahaha.)

Just an aside: it is really amazing how the blog can actually connect people together. After my post last night, I have got a friend asking me to let him know when I am going to see "28 Weeks Later" and another who asked me to help get him the book from NLB.

Thank you, my friends for reading my blog. Greatly appreciated it. =)

PS. I have started reading "The Cabinet of Curiosities". :)

6 comments:

hweiming said...

My dear SA,

I have started reading The Cabinet of Curiosities and I realised that the Nora Kelly in Cabinet is the same one from another book of theirs, Thuderhead. Have you read Thunderhead? It's not bad. Preston & Child's other books have no order of sequence, right, except the Pendergast series? I mean they aren't supposed to be connected to each other, right?

So are you still reading Martin? Hurry up, read quickly. Then you can tell me about it. Hahaha. :)

So are you going to watch "Spiderman 3"? Or is it "Summer Palace" or "200 Pounds Beauty" for you?? I will be going for "28 Weeks Later" next. "Next" seems good too. Hahaha. So what chick flicks have you seen? You are not getting out of this one. LOL :)

Just wondering, cos you said before you had to do last minute reports, is your job very stressful?

Anonymous said...

Dear blogger,

yes, you're right - Kelly is from one of their standalones, but that's the only connection. I think she appears again later on too, but they do have a tendency to offer 'guest appearances' across their novels!! LOL

The truth about cats and dogs, sleepless in seattle, when harry met sally, pride & prejudice, emma, You've got mail, under a tuscan sun, while you were sleeping, serendipity, and of course lake house...

i'll probably watch spiderman 3... if only because it's the only thing to watch. But I'm not much of a movie person nowadays..!

Yes, my job is very stressful, but then, whose isn't in Singapore!

Oh wait, there's you right.. Can sneak off during work to go watch a movie during weekdays!

Anyway, still reading Martin, it's been slow going because I have not had any time lately to read it!!

And yes, looks like I need to prepare some slides for a presentation this week, so I'm going to be up for a bit!! LOL

(And partly, admittedly, you played a role in keeping me up later nowadays...! Always nice to see a new late night entry in your blog!)

SA

hweiming said...

Hey, I was able to sneak off to a movie because I didn't have to work today. LOL. I work part-time for two jobs - counsellor and researcher, remember?? Hahaha. Working part-time for both jobs, somehow takes the stress off me. :) So you in private or government sector?

Ok, you are serious about watching chick flicks! Hahaha. Out of your list, I have seen when harry met sally (this is an old one), sleepless in seattle, You've got mail, pride & prejudice, and of course, lake house. Not that many chick flicks for a girl huh. Hahaha. So you watch the flicks on your own or with your better half?

Make time to read. It does relax the mind. :)

Well, not my fault if you have to stay up late. HAHAHA. But yar, I do like to write my posts at night because it is quiet and I can hear my thoughts clearly. =) Ok lah, maybe partly my fault. HAHAHA.

Believe it or not, it has also been nice to see your comments, which you often replied late at night! So who is keeping who up later?? HAHAHA.

Good luck with your presentation slides. I have to work on some slides too for a conference but I will do it at work tomorrow or rather, later today. Unlike someone. Hahaha. Wait, you are not working alone in the office again, are you?! Hope not! Hahaha.

Have fun. Talk to you later. :)

hweiming said...

Come to think of it, you are to be blamed for keeping me up later! LOL :) You introduced Preston & Child to me. Now I can't stop reading and I can't put their book down!! HAHAHA. =)

Anonymous said...

I noticed your blog is interesting. But I find that u r too engrossed in your story book and movies. How about your 2 kids? why they disappear from your blog? It is more interesting for mum to describe how they take care of kids in a blog. What is the food they eat during lunch? Do they like them? Are they eating the same type of food everyday until they sian?
do they enjoy their school? What type of friends they are with now?

???

hweiming said...

Well, they didn't disappear. Just that, there is something wrong with my blog at the moment. I can't post any images/ photos, can't change font size and colour. It is really frustrating. I have got some stuff about them but you need to see the photos. Until I can resolve the problem, I cant really write about my kids without the photos! I really want the photos to be up!! Hahaha. Yes, I can be one-track mind when it comes to certain things. It is all or nothing. Hahaha. Cross your fingers that I can resolve the problem soon!

Err... you can reply my blog at this time...you no need to work? Hahaha.

Ok, talk later. Work time. LOL.