making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Tuesday 1 May 2007

"The Swarm" by Frank Schätzing

Yippie! I have finally finished reading "The Swarm" by Frank Schätzing. It is a really heavy going book, 881 pages and really tiny lines, height of only 0.3 cm. I know, I measured. Hahaha.

"The Swarm" is a book translated from German and it is segmented into five parts. It is quite slow going at first (or it could be me with reading such tiny lines, hahaha) but it slowly built up its momentum from the 2nd part onwards. It is difficult to put the book down once the action starts to set in. It is an ecological thriller about strange things that are going on in the oceans and scientists are rushing to solve the mystery and save the world. I shan't say anymore about the plot. :)

Oh yes, I find this book really different from the usual thriller is that it actually provokes you to think as well, with its epilogue. It makes you question about some beliefs which most of us take for granted, in a philosophical kind of way. I think it is good that all of us are made to think like this once in a while. Hahaha.

So for those of you who are interested in ecology and into thriller, this book is for you. But word of caution, it is best to read the book in one shot if you can or you would find yourself re-reading portions of the book because you have lapsed too long in between the readings and forgotten bits of the story (which was what happened to me!). So make sure you have lots of time on your hand before you embark on reading this book. You have been warned. :)

Ok, next book on my list: "Ice Station" by Matthew Reilly.

PS. I will probably be visiting the NL after this Reilly book, especially now that I know NL has comics and graphic novels there. That would make someone happy. Hahaha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

talking about strange dreams. Woke up in a sweat tonight at about 230am and couldn't sleep at all.. When i have such rude awakenings, I usually cannot remember what I dreamt about (but obviously it wasn't nice). Probably something about work!

So spent some time packing my notes (which are in a mess - that happens when i have to write reports at short notice). and now replying to your blog (long overdue!)

I've read some dud books in my life. Books which are usually HUGE and in small print, and when you reached the end, you wondered whyever on earth did you persevere through the book even when (a) you know what the ending's going to be like (b) you know the ending's going to be such a disappointment (c) you know you have to get your money's worth after paying the equivalent of 5 chicken rice meals for the book!

But after discovering the NLB (no no i really do not work for them lol) I find it a lot easier to abandon a book midway if it's starting to drag onnnn and onnnn or it becomes too macho (single hero, brains of the team, never gets hurt, ends up saving the day) or too predictable.

Duds I've read:
Camel Club - too macho,
Rule of Four - became an academic treatise after a while,
Codex (by Lev Grossman not Douglas Preston) - Not that interesting

I'm sure there are others but I've probably flushed them out of my memory (to forget the agony of reading them). But i've noticed that post-dan brown, a flurry of so-called science thrillers have entered the market which either get too academic (yes, the Herotidenomicuszenxeus was written by the Norwegian Franciscan Monk of the 9th century Friar Neotiustie Seolugos Sneogi who was the son of .. you get the idea), or they are too predictable (man found exciting ancient document, decides to abandon everything to go on adventure).

It's yowling outside right now. Strong winds! It's strange that of late, there's been very strong winds around where I stay...

So you'd recommend the Swarm? Saw this really pretty girl (wouldn't expect if of her) at Starbucks Tanglin Mall reading a hefty volume - it was the swarm. She seemed engrossed by it!

I'll go see if NLB has it LOL. Am going through (slowly!) George RR Martin's latest volume A Feast of Crows.. of equivalent size but broken down into 8 pages chapters so it's easy to read 2 chapters per night or something LOL

Let me know what you've borrowed from the NLB (no really i do not work for them!).

Midnight SA (actually closer to 4am!)

hweiming said...

Gosh. Don't you sleep?! Hahaha. You are of our world, right, not one of those beings belonging to the nocturnal world? Hahaha. Only teasing.

If it is any small comfort to you, I was woken up at 4am by the rain. But went promptly back to sleep after checking that all the windows were shut. Hahaha. Yes, it has been raining quite a bit lately during the early hours of morning and windy too.

Well, if you really want to remember your dreams, the first 5 minutes of your waking is crucial. After that, the dream will be lost. But you are right, if it is unpleasant, it would most probably be about work. Or it could be your subconscious telling you to reply me (yar, long overdued!). Hahaha.

Oh, didn't you know, dud books are good for character building?! Hahaha. Know what, I have also read Rule of Four (two co-authors, right?). Found it disappointing, lacked the punch. I will avoid the other titles that you have mentioned. Let me know if you remember the other dud books. Will save me lots of time and effort. Hahaha.

Well, as for The Swarm, it is very, very slow going at first. Schatzing is very detailed in developing his characters (throughout the book, it does slow down the action), thus the lengthy volume and sometimes I think it's not necessary. I'm more the "cut to the chase action" kind of girl. Just give me the action and I will be more than happy. Hahaha. That's why I really like Rollins and Reilly. The action begins in the first few pages and continues right to the end! Anyway, I digress. Back to The Swarm, it is slow at the beginning, picks up speed in the middle, then starts to slow down again at the end and then throws you this big philosophical question to ponder. There are quite a number of characters and like George Martin, characters whom you think will live did not and characters you think are minor roles, live and so on. Go browse through it first before you borrow it to see if you like it. Don't be want to be blamed for recommending you a dud book. If not, I might have to treat you to tea as compensation. Hahaha.

Hmm...only ugly girls read? Hahaha. Ok, we won't go there, just couldn't resist using the opening you gave me. Hahaha. Tanglin Mall, you say? Not many people frequent Tanglin Mall unless they work or stay around the area cos it is not really within the Orchard area. So you work or stay around Tanglin Mall? It is nice for being quiet (not so crowded), unlike the other malls. Good place to have a cup of coffee or tea and read your book in peace.

Sure, I will let you know if I do borrow anything from NLB and yes, you do not work for them. HAHAHA.

Talk to you later. :)

PS Hope you get some sleep tonight. Hahaha.