making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Wednesday 2 May 2007

Work or read? Eenie meeni minie moe ...

I thought I would take a little break by just reading a FEW pages of "Ice Station" by Matthew Reilly before working on my papers (due on Friday for work). I thought I would have the will power to put the book down. I thought I was strong enough. I thought ... WRONG!

Now I am stuck. I have to write but I can't put the book down. So how? Work or read? Eenie meeni minie moe... Ok, READ it is! No, I didn't cheat. Hahaha. For those of you who are avid readers, I am sure you know how I feel. Hahaha.

"Ice Station" is really engaging. The action started on page 12. Now, I'm on page 99 and the action is still on-going. How to put the book down, you tell me?! Hahaha.

Don't worry, I will do my work later tonight. It's too hard to put the book down now, let me just read a little more, just a little more and no more, I promise. I will be burning the midnight oil tonight. So if anyone is still awake during the unearthly hours of the morning, feel free to drop in (a comment or two) to keep me company. Hahaha.

Ok, back to my book. Talk to you later. =)

Updated 3 May 2007, 2:16am
Happiness! I have finished one paper. Another paper to go. Since I have another day to do it, I will ... go back to my reading of "Ice Station". Hahaha. Besides, my mind is too wound up by the writing to go to sleep now, reading before bed will help me to wind down, never mind that it is a thriller. Hahaha. =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is most unhealthy lol. While previously I had absolutely no life whatsoever should I be awake at nights (for whatever reason - work, nightmares, storms, marbles dropping upstairs), now I have a person's blog to read and respond to!

How can I give the invitation for a late night chat a miss?

So how's Matthew Rielly's Ice Station so far? I read a blurb of it on Amazon and found that it sounded even MORE macho than Rollins' stuff (which is already fairly macho).

Do you like thriller/detective stories? Can suggest Harlan Coben (not his Myron Bolitar stuff) or James Patterson (who has had several books made into movies). Their books have like hundreds of chapters (!), AND each chapter (this is crucial) is almost a cliff hanger by itself. It really makes you want to reach the end of that chapter, and then you just need to go to the next page and next chapter. Before you know it, sun's up, your eyes can barely open, you lack 9 hours of sleep, but you FINISHED the book! LOL

But these books.. I don't think I'd want to read them again. They are good for a thrill (like movies) but not for re-reading. Well, maybe not for the next 10 years!

So is Reilly the same? Many chapters, each one a cliff hanger?

Are you reading the book, with the notebook on beside you, I wonder LOL...

SA

hweiming said...

Er...you got a bug over at my place or something?! Hahaha. Yar, I was working on my laptop, with the book next to me and I was sneaking a few more pages of reading every now and then! Hahaha. I guess as a fellow bookworm, you probably would be doing the same. LOL

Yes, Reilly is a bit like Harlan Coben or James Patterson (I have not read these two), many chapters and each is a cliff hanger. So you have no choice but to move on the next chapter. And yes, before you know it, it's time for work. Hahaha. I have a feeling it is going to be such a night tonight. No sleep for the reader. =)

Hmm..Patterson sounds familiar though. What books have he written? Looks my book list has just expanded again. HAHAHA.

Glad to know that I am able to "enliven" your life a little. Hahaha. But it has been really pleasant talking with you. Thanks for sharing boks with me. Really appreciate it!

Talk to you later, SA. :)

hweiming said...

It looks like it is going to rain again tonight. Brace yourself, SA for another rainy and windy night. lol