making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Wednesday 27 June 2007

"The Book of The Dead" by Preston & Child

Finally, I have finished the concluding novel for the Pendergast series! I am still holding my breath!

...

Ok, got my breath back. Lol. Well, it has certainly been a real exciting, thrilling roller-coaster ride since the start, from Brimstone, to Dance of Death and now, The Book of the Dead. The pace of the story never once let down, even when into its 3rd book. It is definitely a fitting ending to the Pendergast series, for now. (There is a 4th book coming!!). Again, there are the usual mind games but you could never predict the way the games would go, the usual brilliant intellect of the Pendergast brothers, the fight between good and evil, and also the insight into another long-standing character's psyche in the series. Questions are finally answered in this book, whereas I could only guessed in the previous books. It sure feels good to finally know the truth. LOL.

The Book of the Dead has the good brother being framed by the evil brother and thrown into a high-security prison (could he escape from it?), the evil brother intends to execute a horrific crime (did he succeed?), ... What happens in the end?? Not telling. =) You have to read it yourself. The Egyptian theme runs through in this book, even the title itself. In Ancient Egypt, The Book of the Dead is a cluster of mortuary spells placed with the dead in order to help them pass through the dangers of the underworld and attain an afterlife of bliss in the Field of Reeds. Yes, as you can see, I am into Egyptian history, myths and such. It makes reading The Book of the Dead doubly enjoyable for me. =)

Must really thank SA for inducing me to read Pendergast! How can I thank thee?! But I think I will be suffering from Pendergast withdrawal symptoms soon. Know when "The Wheel of Darkness" will be out, SA? Until then, any more books to introduce, along the line of Pendergast?

No comments: