making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Friday 8 June 2007

Reading

I have been busy reading today. Not my leisure books but articles for my PhD writing. Hahaha. Yes, I am finally reading this whole stack of 2006 and 2007 articles for my PhD dissertation.

I am currently in the midst of revising my 1st 3 chapters: Introduction, Literature Review and Methodology, and of special importance, are the first 2 chapters. I have to update the articles used in them since they were only up to end 2005. I will have to add in the more recent articles from 2006 and 2007 that are related to my PhD. Hmm... I may have to find more articles. lol. Being ambitious, I am also trying to write my Chapter 5: Conclusions and Implications. Wish me luck. Hahaha.

It is not easy writing but I am beginning to find my momentum. All thanks to encouragement from good friends and fellow PhD students. Yes, we must finish our PhDs by this year, no matter what!


***
I became friends with a Mexican professor, Dr Eduardo Andere, who came to my research centre in 2006. Although he was supposed to have a buddy, she wasn't doing anything to help him. Somehow, I became his "unofficial" buddy but I was glad to be of assistance. I helped him out with whatever information he needed for his research about our educational system. I also played hostess and showed him what a typical Singapore family is like (except that my family ain't exactly typical, lol). We have been keeping in contact after he left Singapore via msn and emails.

Just yesterday, he told me that he is acknowledging me in his new book. *Blush* I am being acknowledged in a book. I must say I feel honoured indeed. I hadn't realised that I had done this much to help him. It was within my knowledge and power and I am more than happy to help out a friend, always. Thank you, Eduardo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you're doing your PhD. I didn't realise that. Thought you were doing an MBA or something LOL.

Now I'm torn between recommending books and comics to you which may distract you from your studies! Perhaps these 'recreational reading' can be turned to in times when you face writers' block, or frustration, or when you just need to escape into another world.

If you should ever need suggestions, do let me know. I read your blog as always, and will be glad to lend a helping hand.

Your apologetic SA, for distracting you!

hweiming said...

Really? You thought I was doing an MBA. LOL. In my 1st 3 months at ACJC, my commerce teacher actually begged me to drop the subject. That's how "good" I am at business. LOL.

Don't worry, SA. You are not distracting me at all. In fact, I welcome your "distractions"! LOL. The books and comics, as you said, are really good when I need my breaks in between writing. They allow me to escape into another world. Being a fellow bookworm, I am sure you know what I mean. lol. So don't worry about me, SA. As and when there is a good book or comics, feel free to recommend to me!

Thanks for reading my blog, as always. Nice to know I have in you a loyal fan, or actually more importantly, a friend. :) Hmm...what sort of hand are you willing to help? Wrting perhaps? Hahaha. Only joking.

Hope to hear from you soon. I always look forward to your comments. :)