making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Saturday 9 June 2007

A Shopping Mission

Shopping with my mother is always a chop chop affair. She knows what she wants to buy, she goes in straight for the "kill" and goes home. That is her modus operandi in shopping. My father has a totally different modus operandi. He knows what he wants to buy but he browses around as well and he ends up buying more, A LOT MORE than just what he intended to buy! We often laughed at our parents about their role reversal. LOL. For me, my modus operandi is in between them, I guess. I would go for things I want to buy and I would browse around a little bit. However, I can't stand shopping when it is very crowded: I find it very hard to shop and I get headaches. So that means I lose out when there are sales. Hahaha.

Today, Juliane and I went shopping with my mother at Isetan Scotts because she needed to buy a present for her friend's grandson and at Tangs for a vase. Shopping was over within an hour. A very quick affair indeed. We had lunch at Crystal Jade Kitchen, Isetan Scotts. We happened to meet our family friend as we left Crystal Jade and we ended up having tea, coffee and cake at Dome. We went home around 3pm as Juliane had fallen asleep.

I went out almost immediately again to Takashimaya as I had to look for silver-coloured Mary Jane pumps for Marieann as she needs it for her concert. Alas, they don't have her size. With too many people around, I didn't know how to shop and was getting a headache. So I went instead to Kinokuniya. It is always nice to be surrounded by books. Hahaha. I enjoyed myself at Kinokuniya, browsing at books. LOL.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it strange that the old flagships of books - MPH and Times - have now been replaced by American and Japanese (isn't the irony noticeable when you place these 2 together) stores - Borders and Kinokuniya?

Times used to be everywhere and I think I still have my 10% discount card somewhere LOL. MPH - is the Stamford store (the one next to the old red-brick National Library) still around? I don't recall seeing it whenever I drive past... :-(

I think Kino is great though, since it covers such a wide range of books and of course, it has an online search which makes things a lot easier. Unlike Borders, where it's really like searching for a needle in the haystack!

You do know that there's a 20% discount at Kino now right? :-) ;-) And it's always nice to spend hours in Kino, just looking for new books.

I wonder if the smaller bookshops like your Sunny will disappear one day, because of these giants...

SA

hweiming said...

Yes, I have noticed that trend too. There seemed to be fewer and fewer of the bookstores of our time - MPH and Times. I still remember the bliss of just browsing and reading for hours at Centrepoint's MPH and Times during my younger days.

Of course, not forgetting the old MPH at Stamford, which I used to visit after going to the old Library at Stamford. Sorry to tell you the bad news, SA, MPH is no longer there. In its place is now a furniture store, I think. Sigh. Know what? I also still have my Times Privilege card somewhere too. LOL.

Yes, Kino and Borders are great bookstores when I need my books on pyschology and education. I can't spend hours shopping but I just love spending hours browsing and reading books. :) Hmm... maybe we might have crossed paths at Kino and Borders as I do frequent them quite often?? LOL.

Well, as for Sunny, I think there will always be the niche for it... Rest assured, I am a library convert now. Hahaha.

Talk to you soon! :)