making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Tuesday 10 July 2007

Counselling

At different times today, different colleagues happened to ask me about counselling. A coincidence perhaps.

What is counselling? – noun Psychology. (Source: Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1))
- professional guidance in resolving personal conflicts and emotional problems.

I have met people who have the impression that counselling is an easy job. Well, sorry, it is not! Counselling is a lot more than just talking. It also involves listening. Counselling is not an easy job. It is both mentally and emotionally draining because I have to consciously detach myself emotionally from my client's problems. That's why I can't counsel or see more than 8 clients in one day. As much as I want to take on more clients, I can't as it would be too much for me to take. I have to detach myself from my client's problems and emotions so that I can maintain my objectivity in order to give the appropriate guidance, help and support to my clients.

Although it takes a longer time to see the effects of counselling, I enjoy my counselling work very much. It gives me a sense of achievement and fulfilment when the clients trust me, when they finally open up and share their problems with me, when they finally take the steps to help themselves, when they no longer need to see me.

Counselling is not just a job. Counselling is a great responsibility. Counselling is a calling.

No comments: