making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Tuesday 3 July 2007

Transcribing

Today, I was busy transcribing one of the interviews that I conducted with my teachers. Transcribing is "hard" on my ears because I had to use earphones so that I didn't disturb my colleagues. I think I would proceed faster with the transcribing if I didn't have to use earphones as I had to rest my ears every now and then. Lol.

By the way, I don't think transcibing is very difficult as I used to do it for my lecture notes during my undergrad years in UQ, Brisbane and during my MA years. At first, when I taped my lectures during my undergrad years, it was out of fear that I might not understand the lecturers' Aussie accents. However, as I got used to the accents, I also got used to transcribing my lecture notes. (Since I was staying by myself in uni, I didn't have to use earphones.) So the habit got stuck - I taped my lectures, I transcribed them, I revised at the same time by adding in my own understanding and notes.

At the height of my transcribing skill/ ability, I was able to transcribe an hour's lecture within 2 to 3 hours. Oh, I think my own version of shorthand in note-taking helped as well. When I cross-compared my initial lecture notes with that of the transcribed ones, I realised I was almost taking verbatim notes. Yar, I was ONCE that good in note-taking and transcribing. HAHAHA. My transcribing skill/ ability is abit, actually quite rusty now. Lol. Maybe need time to warm up to transcribing again ;)

PS. Shhh... don't tell people that I can transcribe... in case I get landed with more transcribing work! LOL.

No comments: