making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Friday 3 August 2007

My 1st Meet-the-People Session

Today, I went to my first Meet-the-People session at my constituency. It is such an eye-opener for me! This is the first time I have ever been to a session like this in my life (just as I have been to a community centre/ club only once before). Never had the opportunity to attend a session until now. :P

As you all know, I have been very vexed about the enbloc and its process at my estate. There have been no transparency, no equity and no accountability. Although I know the enbloc legislation is still pending and not much can be done at the moment, I just wanted to highlight some of these unfair practices that is happening in my estate's enbloc process to my MP. Better than not doing anything, right? Who knows? One can always hope for a miracle...

I was at my constituency's meet-the-people session at 7:45pm. I had Queue No. 32. No, not yet, not meeting the MP yet. 32, that is just the number to be called for registration only. Ok, waited 50 minutes to be registered. Then I waited for another 60 minutes for one of the volunteers to write my petition.

"Er... but I have already written it. Here are the documents. I saved them on my thumbdrive too. You want? Easier for you", said I.

The volunteer gave me a grin and said, "First one I met so high-tech". Lol :P

Anyway, he still had to write a very brief note cos it is their protocol. He explained that my "problem" is really my MP's area - law. She is the best to give me the legal advice and help me to write the petition. Ok, that will do too. Then it is waiting again, to see the MP this time. Another 75 minutes of waiting. At least I was kept busy watching "The Ghost Whisperer" so time passed quite fast. Hahaha.

I finally got to meet my MP at 11:05 pm. I gave her my documents and explained the enbloc situation at my estate. I told her that I hoped as an MP, she could pull her weight and at least highlight the current unfair enbloc situations and processes to the correct ministry, namely MinLaw. She understood and explained at the moment there is no legislation governing the enbloc process until the changes come into effect later in the year. She has also written in twice to MinLaw about the need to tighten the enbloc process. But she would write in to MinLaw again on my behalf. We left her office 10 minutes later.

It was a long, long wait just for 10 minutes. But, at least, I have tried the MP avenue. Hopefully it will do some good... OK, people, cross your fingers and toes and pray for the Best! =)

It has been an eye-opener to me. People at the session were mostly from the lower income group cos I "overheard" (well, some of them were quite angry so very the loud) many of their complaints were about HDB matters such as appeals for lower rental charges, "unfair" allotment of HDB flats, appeal to apply for a flat, ... Some of the aunties and uncles could only speak their dialects or mother tongue, no English. Kinda made me feel a little awkward that I am there for enbloc matter! But hey, I am there for a good cause too, fighting for minority owners' rights and highlighting the plight of minority owners who are being forced out of their homes. So there! Lol.

No comments: