making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 13 August 2007

Sugar Free

I quit my sugar cold turkey. I was sugar free for two and a half days, starting on Saturday. I really didn't have anything sweet, I mean the usual things that I would take - ice cream, sweets, cakes, chocolates, ... My goodness! It was one of the most difficult times of my life. I became really lethargic, drowsy and waspish too. Could be my blood glucose was too low. Sorry to the good friend who unknowingly crossed my path. Sorry. :P

By this afternoon, I couldn't take it anymore. I went to hunt for sweets. I NEED IT! GIVE IT TO ME!!! Still in keeping with my sugar free diet, I bought Ricola (sugar free) Lemon Mint. Finally, I have my "sugar". I was myself again. I was all SMILES! LOL. I took two within half an hour. Hahaha. Probably overdid it. Lol.

Based on Ministry of Health's 2006 Principal Causes of Death Statistics, Diabetes was Number 7 on the list. Obviously, diabetes is not a disease to be overlooked. MOH has also been busy advocating the healthy lifestyle message, promoting healthy living and eating in Singapore. But strangely, there is not a lot of sugar free products in the market for diabetics. I only recall seeing pharmacies selling sugar free sweets and chocolates. I tried searching online for shops selling sugar free products and most are overseas like in UK and US. Sigh. I don't recall seeing sugar free products in our supermarkets such as NTUC, Cold Storage. Fortunately, a Good Friend directed me to ang moh supermarkets such as Market Place (Tanglin Mall), Jason's (Orchard Tower), Tierney (Serene Centre). These supermarkets have got a good range of sugar free products such as biscuits, cocoa, sweets, etc. But of course, these products are a lot more expensive too. But whatever it is, I am really thankful. I can now eat my "sugar" without fear. Hahaha.

Borrowing a thought from Good Friend, it is really strange that these products which are sugar free (and some have less fat and less sodium too) are so much more expensive. If they are good for us, why can't they be easily available and more affordable? Something to think about. Hmm, maybe it is another cause I could lobby for. Lol.


By the way, if you are reading my blog and happen to know of any shops, cafes, and/or restaurants in Singapore that sell sugar free dessert, PLEASE let me know. Leave me a comment. Thank you so much!

Here is a link from MOH on Joy of Life:
Easing off the sugar.

No comments: