making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Tuesday 4 September 2007

Going Sugar Free

I have been going sugar free since 11 August 2007, for 3 weeks and 3 days. Ok, there were a few teaspoons of dessert here and there spaced out between the weeks. I had it under control. Lol. :P

As you all know, it was initially very difficult for me going cold turkey. I was feeling lethargic, emotionally volatile, having headaches and cramps and so on. Now, those symptoms are gone. Happy! =) I am finally getting used to doing without real sugar. Lol. But to be honest, to satisfy my craving for sweet stuff, I have been taking sugar free items suitable for diabetics.

I find the sugar free selections at Tierney's, Jason's and NTUC Finest pretty good. For cookies, Joseph's Sugar Free Cookies range are good, actually taste like the real thing such as the chocolate chip cookies. For wafers, there is this German brand, Veelmann which is very good. Simply delicious! :) There are also sugar free jams. The strawberry sugar free jam I bought tasted just like the normal strawberry jam. Have been taking sugar free soy bean milk too, which doesn't taste all that bad.

I have also become more conscious about reading the nutrition food labels. Never knew there is so much information there. Upon comparison, I realised I have been taking lots of unhealthy stuff in my food in the past - high sodium, high fat, high sugar, high carbo, ... :P Definitely will be more careful in my selection of food now. Indirectly, my girls will benefit too because they always like to share my food (don't know why though) and they will be healthier too. Hahaha.

Now, if only I can find sugar free cakes and ice cream, my sugar free world will be perfect. LOL. Ok, maybe I am asking for too much. But I guess I can go for the next best thing - sugar free mooncakes! Hahaha.

PS. Oh yes, the sugar free items are much more expensive than their usual sugar laden counterparts. But I guess that is the price to pay in order to be more healthy. No pain (from the pockets), no gain (for health). Lol.

Updated 5 September 2007, 12:25am
I just realised that there is another place I haven't tried looking for sugar free stuff there - Tanglin Mall's Market Place. It is the closest one to me, yet I'm too lazy to walk there :P. The other shops are actually en route to my home from the counselling school. I guess in a way it is easier to drop in on them since I am passing by them, anyway. Lol.

No comments: