making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Sunday 16 September 2007

Healthy Eating and Not So Healthy Eating

The girls needed to get new shoes. It is amazing how fast they outgrow their clothes, shoes, etc. We usually frequent Colette for their shoes. They have two outlets: Great World City and Vivocity. Since hubby hates going to Great World, we went to Vivocity.

We got there around 11:30am as Juliane went to see a doctor earlier in the morning. She's got the cold again. Sigh. We thought we should have lunch first before we go shopping. We saw this restaurant, Red White & Pure. It is opened by TCM chain Eu Yan Sang. The cuisine is East-meets-West which features fusion creations with Chinese herbs. Hmm, let's give it a try, need to be more healthy, right? Lol.

We ordered the following to share:
Starter: Bak Kut Teh Consomme ($16). It was chicken broth which was infused with bak kut teh herbs, with three pieces of braised duck dumplings and enoki mushrooms. I thought it is an interesting combination, bak kut teh soup and duck dumpling, they went well with each other. I rather enjoyed the soup.



Main: Tofu & Buckwheat Noodle ($16). This buckwheat noodle (dry) was blended with portobello mushroom, roasted garlic and mustard paste. There were tofu, baby kailan and oven baked seaweed sprinkled generously over the noodle. It was ordered for the girls but they didn't like it. I also didn't quite like it because of the garlic and mustard paste. I felt they were too strong but hubby enjoyed it. It is probably an acquired taste.


Main: Salmon Xiekucao & Corn Custard, Asparagus Salad ($24). The salmon was crusted and baked with xiekucao, a chinese herb. The salmon was really fresh and nice. The herb didn't overpower the taste of salmon but complimented it and also the lemon foam. Somehow, they managed to make lemon juice into a foam ball. I felt really healthy after eating the salmon. Lol. If in my pre pre-diabetic days, I would have love the corn custard to death but now I find it a bit too sweet for my taste. Hubby ate it although he hates corn. Too bad, waste not.


Sandwich: Gravlax Salmon ($10.50) with aioli, kipler potato, romaine lettuce on foccacia bread. Hubby ordered it but ended up sharing the bread with the girls. He said the salmon which was raw was really fresh. The potato was nice too.


Desserts:
Steamed Tamarind Pudding with Avocado Ice cream and Banana Ice Cream ($10.50). Since I can't take banana ice cream, too high a sugar content, they gave me two scoops of avocado. The pudding was sourish, which was not too bad but I thought the avocado ice cream was kind of bitter and too creamy for my liking. I only had one or two teaspoons of it.



White Chocolate Cake with Hashima and Passion Fruit sauce ($10.50). Thumbs up for this dessert! The white chocolate was HEAVENLY and it went really well with the cake and the passion fruit sauce. Opps! Cat out of the bag. Lol. Rest assured, I only took less than 4 teaspoons.


Warm Chocolate Mousse with Orange and Caramel Salad ($10.50). The orange and caramel salad came in a clear bowl and the warm chocolate mousse was then nozzled into the bowl. I didn't dare to try it as I know it would be way too sweet for me. The family didn't quite like it as the chocolate was too bitter. Have to rely on their words since I can't try it for myself. :P Sorry, no photo for this, didn't exactly look "photo-takable". Lol.

For lunch today, there were some hits and some misses with the dishes we ordered. The prices are a little expensive too. The lunch was, no doubt, really healthy, light and not oily but somehow I found myself thinking about chicken rice after the lunch. Maybe the cuisine is just too healthy for me. Hahaha. Not sure if I will go back again. Maybe just for the White Chocolate Cake. :P


***
For dinner, we decided to pack from the Taman Serasi food court. I just needed to have my chicken rice! Hahaha. Hubby and the girls had their roti prata and indian rojak. All that healthy eating for lunch has been cancelled out by our not so healthy eating for dinner. Lol.

No comments: