making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Tuesday 25 September 2007

Mid-Autumn Festival 中秋节

Today is the 15th day of the Eighth Lunar Month of the Chinese calendar. It is the Mid-Autumn Festival. Some calls it Lantern Festival or Mooncake Festival. But I prefer calling it Mid-Autumn Festival because it is the proper term. Yes, I am a sticker for correct usage of names and terms. :P

I waited until dark before I showed the girls their little lanterns. I got them the battery operated ones. I refused to get those candle-lit lanterns because I DON'T want to be a firewoman. Well, one of their paper lanterns caught fire last year. Major panic for me, scared that they would be burnt and so on. NO more, this year. Battery operated ones, much safer, lol. Oh and their battery operated lanterns are the kinds that DON'T play horrible, loud music when switched on. I can't stand those! The girls' lanterns, when switched on, only change colour: from pink to purple to green to red... Very pretty, lol.

Hubby was too lazy so I brought them downstairs myself to walk round the estate. The girls were really excited. We were the only family walking round the estate with these two small lanterns flashing multiple colours. Thanks goodness, after 15 minutes, another family came down with their children and they had the candle-lit paper lanterns. The girls were running round the playground with their lanterns but the other two kids couldn't because they had to be careful of the candles, lol. After playing with the other kids for a while, I had to force the girls to go home to prepare for bed.



The running did them good, they are sleeping like logs now, lol. Now I can enjoy my mooncake (with 4 yolks) and my pomelo in peace, hahaha.

PS. To read more about the stories of Mid-Autumn Festival, click
here.

No comments: