making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Friday 28 September 2007

School and I

In my work, I have to conduct school visits. It is the part of my work that I enjoy the most - the interaction with teachers, students and school personnels.

I guess once having been a teacher, I can't get the system (school) out of me. Looking at my various work experiences, it has always centred around school and the education system. My first job after my 'A' Levels, while waiting for the results, was relief teaching at a primary school. That experience must have set me up on my current career path without me realising, lol. After I received my Psychology degree, I returned to my ala mater, SCGS to help out - again relief teaching. That was the point of no return for me. Got into NIE to do my PGDE and went back to serve at SCGS.

After teaching for a couple of years (and doing my MA in Educational Psychology at the same time), MOE HQ invited me to join them as an educational psychologist (EP) which I did. Conducting school visits was a big part of my EP work. I love working with Principals, HODs, teachers, students and parents. I love the interaction. It was fun. I guess I am very much a people-oriented person, lol. I worked as an EP for almost 3 years and made many friends among the Principals and teachers in the 14 primary schools that I was then in charge of. Unfortunately, due to a difficult 2nd pregnancy, I resigned from HQ.

But I couldn't stay away from the system for long. Soon after, I started my part-time counselling at one of my schools that I was in charge of as well as part-time psychological assessments. Needed to surround myself with people, lol.

Not long after, I was also recruited by the then dean of my current workplace. The rest is history. Now, I continue to work with schools and teachers. I guess it is a case of "you can take me out of the school but you can't take the school out of me". Hahaha.

No comments: