making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 15 October 2007

Cell by Stephen King

Since I am sleepless tonight, I thought why not I do my book review since there is a backlog of them (have completed reading quite a few books), lol. Oh dear, I am really a librarian at heart hor, doing book reviews, trying to interest people to read, lol. Ok, getting sidetracked here from the book review... :P

A recent book that I have read is Cell by Stephen King. I haven’t read many of his books (only Carrie and Christine) as I chose instead to watch his novel adaptations/ & screenplays (e.g. Sleepwalkers, The Shining, Pet Sematary, Storm of the Century, Nightmares and Dreamscapes). It is easier that way. But the book, Cell, happened to come my way. So I thought why not?

Cell went straight into action on its first page and it is non-stop till the end. However, I thought the ending was a bit … lacking or MIA (missing in action). This could be my personal bias. The story was exciting and good throughout, without a doubt. Maybe I have been too pampered, so used to stories telling me a good ending (to me, good ending = must have a conclusion, never mind if it is happy or sad or bitter-sweet, must tell me what happened!) that I have refused to accept anything else. King is no doubt a Master. He is able to use a very simple idea, a commonplace thing such as the cell phone to create a horror and thriller out of it! As I read the book, I got increasingly uneasy. I have only begun to use the cell phone more frequently in the last 2-3 years. Before that, I was most reluctant to use one because I think it would make one stupid (evidence: the girls' father, lol). Now King has got me thinking again if it is such a good idea to use the cell phone so frequently. Hahaha. Yes, King is that good!

Cell is a fairly easy read, not heavy going, totally unlike The Swarm, which I once read. (I still can't believe I actually read The Swarm, all 881 pages, lol) One can finish Cell in no time. I finished reading it within two days. Go ahead, read it. It may change your world. :P

No comments: