making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Tuesday 20 November 2007

A Flurry of SMSes continues...

Although my friends managed to get into Sydney after a delay of 2 hrs 40 minutes, they had missed their original connecting flight to Auckland. As they had to rush immediately after disembarking to the next flight to Auckland, my friend smsed me (S'pore time about 6:00am) for help to contact the person who was going to give them a ride in Auckland. Again, a flurry of smses continued - received instructions from friend, smsed to the person giving them a ride, smsed back to friend, more instructions from friend, smsed back to person giving them a ride, ...

All seemed to be going well... until the person giving them a ride smsed me around S'pore time 10am for their flight number as they had not arrived at the estimated time of arrival (ETA). Again, a flurry of smses continued - flight info, double-checking on instructions given by friend, ... Thanks goodness, after 30 minutes, my friends finally touched down in Auckland, about 40 minutes behind ETA.

Ok, things are going well now, right? Dead wrong! Two of my friends had lost their luggage upon arrival in Auckland!! Another flurry of smses ensured - whose luggage got lost?, what happened?, got insurance?, ... 3 hours later, received sms that their luggage have been found and they were on their way to the conference in a town that's two hours' drive away. Was so relieved that things were finally going smoothly for them.

Alas, I spoke too soon. Upon arrival at the college hall, they discovered there was no heating, no water, no hangers in the rooms and worse, there was no Internet!!! My poor friends. It seemed the trip from Singapore to the conference venue was just one long continuous nightmare for them. :(

I sincerely pray for them that, after a good night's rest, tomorrow will a brand new day for them where all things will go well. Good Luck for your presentations, my friends! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a good practice session huh =) well you are always a great help in times of need. Ready with your wit and advice and effort too if needed =P bear salute you

hweiming said...

bear, u are too kind. i try my best to be a good friend to all my friends but at times, i think there is still room for improvement, lol. :P