making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Thursday 7 February 2008

Happy Chinese New Year: Day 1

Happy Chinese New Year. May All have a Healthy and Bountiful New Year. :)



Being the only family here in Singapore (cos both my parents aren't from Singapore), we didn't have many relatives to visit. (It used to be a sore point for my brother and I because we didn't get many Ang Baos, lol :P) Only one other family actually, an elder that is. The rest whom we visited were close family friends. Usually, we were able to complete our visits by the morning and we would be home by lunch time. :) In the afternoon, there would be other family friends who would come to visit my parents. It is the same thing year in year out, just like clock work! :P

It is no different this year. By now, even the girls were able to tell us whom we were going to visit next on the list, a very short list of 3 families! Hahaha. :P As with previous years, in the late afternoon, I called my best friend, Min's parents in Melbourne and my best friend, Min in Sydney. This year, Min and I are more excited than previous years because I would be visiting her SOON! In March!! :) There is so much to catch up on and so much to gossip about, girl! Hahaha. See you soon, Min! :)
In the evening, we visited a very old family friend whom my brother and I called Ah Ma. We are almost like family. All the gatherings (New Year, weddings, etc), we would be invited. :)

The only difference this year is that I visited my friends' father/ father-in-law's wake in the afternoon. As a friend, it is the least that I could do for them: to pay my respects and to keep my friends company for a while. Take care, my friends. Try to get some rest tonight. Do let me know if I can help in other ways.
I know some people are superstitious and say it is bad luck visiting a wake during CNY (the girls' father thought so) but I definitely don't think so. Your life should be dictated by yourself and not by luck which is a most transient thing. I am very glad that my parents didn't think it is bad luck too and that they are very open-minded to understand that friendship is more important than luck. Actually, I think I learnt it from them for they are people who are willing to go all out for their friends too.

No comments: