making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 24 March 2008

Wedding of Evelyn & Kenneth, 24 March 2008

Updated on 25 March 2008, 10:53pm (Melb time): The photos are finally all uploaded! :)

Today is the BIG day for Evelyn and Kenneth. Everyone woke up early because most of us couldn't sleep mainly due to excitment and nerves, lol. My apartment has been designated the girls' room so all the girls (the bride, the bride's maids, the bride's mother and I) gathered in our apartment to do the make-up, the hair and changing of clothes. The hair stylists-cum-make-up artists arrived most promptly at 10am to do the hair-styling and make-up for the bride and bride's maids. I managed to get my make-up done by the make-up artist too. I am just hopeless about putting on make-up, lol. Meanwhile, the boys (the groom, the best men) were in another apartment, playing X-box! Haha. They certainly weren't as stressed as us, lol. :P By 11:30am, all the girls' hair and make-up were done. We had nothing to do but to wait until 3pm. Somehow we weren't very hungry for lunch despite not having breakfast. Nerves lah, we were all running on pure adrenalin, haha. :P






By 3pm, we were dressed, had the last touch up and set off for Gardenhurst, the wedding venue. The weather was perfect, a little cloudy and cool. Evelyn, the bride had some photos taken (by a professional photographer and I, lol) before the guests started arriving at 3:30pm. All too soon, it was 4pm. The opera singers started singing which signified the start of the wedding ceremony. The bride's maids marched out first, followed by Evelyn and her brother, Wolfgang and lastly, me. Oh, I was there because I was tasked to make sure Evelyn's lace train didn't get caught on the uneven brick pathway. Thank goodness, all went well, nothing was caught. :) I quickly made my way to the front and stood by the side. I had another job to do.








The celebrant talked about what marriage is and gave the blessing for the marriage. Then, it was my turn. This is what I was nervous about. I am Evelyn and Kenneth's reader at the wedding. I read a passage from the I-Ching:
"When two people are at one in their inner most hearts, they shatter even the strength of iron or bronze. And when two people understand each other in their inner most hearts, their words are sweet and strong like the fragrance of orchids."
I was most glad that I managed to read that without mistakes. The other guests, later, told me that what I have read was very beautiful and meaningful. Thank you! :) The wedding couple proceeded to the signing of the marriage certificate. They are now officially, Mr and Mrs Wilson. :)









After the wedding ceremony, there was more photo-taking of the wedding couple, of the wedding couple with their family.













Soon enough, it was 6pm. Everyone was seated and dinner commenced. The first entree was Spinach and Ricotta Angilotti. It was delicious! The ricotta tasted like tofu, lol. :)


The second entree was Baked Fish with Rice. This one was simply sumptuous. The lemon juice complimented the fish in cream sauce really well! The butter rice was really fragrant. This dish could have been a main on its own, lol :P


The main was either a Char Grilled Fillet Mignon or Grilled Chicken King Island. I had the chicken. The cream sauce was just fantastic! The chicken was really tender too. Yum yum!


The dessert was Crepe Suzette. Dessert, what can I say?! I have a sweet tooth, lol. :P


Finally, there was the wedding cake, Carrot Cake with cream cheese frosting, tea and chocolates. The carrot cake was fantastic!



There were speeches by Evelyn's brother, Wolfgang and Kenneth. In Wolfgang's speech, special thanks were given to my mother who first blessed the union of Evelyn and Kenneth in 2005 and she told them about their Chinese horoscope signs and the Chinese mythology of the Phoenix and the Dragon. Thank you, Evelyn and Kenneth. I will let my mother know. She would be most happy and at the same time, most embarrassed. As I know, she would say it was nothing. :) Thank you for including us, my mother (in the speech) and I (as your reader) on your special day! It has been my great pleasure to attend your wedding and to help out on your wedding day. :)

In between the various dishes, there were dancing. I was most disciplined, I didn't dance, lol. Instead I talked to other guests. Being the only Chinese girl there among all the ang mohs, everyone seemed to know my name. Lol. :P Ok, I did dance lah but only towards the end and only in group dancing like The Macarena, Nutbush City Limits, lol.





As according to tradition, Evelyn threw her bridal bouquet. She made me go onto the floor too, lol. She threw the bouquet right at me. She really wanted me to catch it. But instinctively, when I see something coming at me, I ducked! Haha. So the bouquet hit Pippa who was standing directly behind me, in the eye, lol. Sorry, Pippa. Lol. Of course, the groom had to throw the bride's garter to the single men, lol. All too soon, the wedding party came to an end at 11pm. Although it has been a long day for us, we totally, absolutely enjoyed this special day of Evelyn and Kenneth!! :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

uh. thank you for this text..

hweiming said...

u are most welcome. :) it was one of the best weddings i have attended in australia.