making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 30 June 2008

Sunburnt Fun

I think I am sunburnt, lol. I forgot to bring my sunblock when I went into the office today. Oh well, the sky looked pretty overcast in the late morning. Hmm... maybe I might not need the sunblock...

I was helping out my PI on another project about Natural Science learning. There were students from a few schools who had to carry out a number of activities at four stations at Seletar Reservoir, 2:15 to 5pm. My job was to video record the students while engaging in their activities. My PI and I went with a group of students to the station: Stream. Although there were trees along the sides, the stream had to be right smack in the path of the sun. So much for overcast sky! Sigh. Just my luck. :(

Despite the sun, I had lots of fun. Hahaha, it rhymes. :P
The first laugh was when the students were just about to start their first activity with the teachers. As we were in a forested area, there were monkeys around. My PI and I heard some rustling from the trees and we both turned to look (which happened to be in the opposite direction of the students so none of the students saw what happened). We saw a pair of monkeys on the ground and another one a little way off from the pair. I had my camcorder out and my PI had her camera out and we were both shooting. The pair of monkeys decided to put on a show for us. They started mating in front of us! Our jaws dropped. Wah man, this is better than watching National Geographic HAHAHA. I was zooming in with the camcorder when I realised I didn't know if students were going to watch it or not. I didn't want to be blamed for corrupting their young minds lol. I shut the camcorder to ask my PI for permission. She said, "Aiya, just take lah, haha". Alamak, by the time I re-focused, the monkeys had finished their job. Ah? So fast? Chey, no stamina. Hahaha. But I am still tickled to see animals mating in real life. Lol. Ok lah, I am deprived, never see before. Haha. :P
The other laughs came about when the students got stuck in the muddy plains right next to the stream and in the process, losing their shoes, crocs shoes, slippers and having to fish for them in the mud. Yes, I know I am very mean to laugh at them. But it was pretty funny sights.

I followed the same group of student to the next station: Soil where it is inside the forest. Now, no longer assaulted by deadly UV rays, I am instead assaulted by high humidity and mossies. Darn, I didn't have insect repellent! Really just my luck, no sunblock, no insect repellent! Sigh. It was really a feat trying to keep still to do the video recording and trying to swat the mossies too! Thank goodness, the students saw and came to my aid with insect repellents. The students sprayed with me with two different kinds of insect repellents, one was lemon grass scented and the other, orange scented. Gosh, the scents sure don't blend very well. I smelled funny. Hmm, maybe it was payback for laughing at them when they got stuck in the mud. Lol. Oh well, the students were being nice. I am grateful to them despite smelling a little strange. :P

The field trip ended around 5:30pm. My PI kindly sent me home. At least I was able to drop into bed sooner for a much needed snooze. Lol. :P

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL... beanie is very naughty huh... tsk tsk, getting excited over the most primate pastime huh... hee... lucky the students didnt catch you guys taking a naughty break... watching, haha =P

hweiming said...

LOL. Well, it looked like I am not the only one tickled by the primate activity. I have been "scolded" by other friends for not catching it on video hahaha. :P

Anonymous said...

heehee! You made me laugh in class!

hweiming said...

You mean when I taught you or reading this entry made you laugh in your class? If it is the later, oh dear! Hope you didn't get into trouble with your teacher. Hold on, why are you reading a blog during class??!! Oi, pay attention in class! Lol.

Anonymous said...

latter :P Hahahahahahaha! Because lessons are boring :X and heehee. I didnt get into trouble, friends were only asking me why i was laughing out loud to myself.

hweiming said...

Hahaha. Oh dear, my blog distracting my ex-student from paying attention in class. :P Ok, at least I hope your friends didn't think you were going nuts from the boring lesson haha. Err.. were my lessons boring too when I taught you girls??!! Thank goodness, technology not so advanced then lol. :P

Anonymous said...

Nooooo. They dont think i'm nuts :P Primary school lessons huh. >.< What did you actually teach me? I dont really remember. Was it english and science? Ya. Progressing technology. Imagine the schools that use tablet pc's for classes. If they dont block this and that, their students are going to be another me :X