making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 21 July 2008

Racial Harmony Day

Today, my girls celebrated Racial Harmony Day in their pre-school. They were both dressed in cheongsams, instead of their school uniform for today's celebration of ethnic diversity. They were both thrilled and happy.


At school, they celebrated by having an assembly/ sing-along session, observing a minute's silence for the victims of natural disasters in Myanmar and China, having a Fashion Parade by the children in their different traditional clothes and listening a talk about racial harmony, Maria Hertogh and Total Defence. They also showed me the orange ribbons that they were given by school, which symbolise multiculturalism, universal friendship, kinship and familial ties. The girls said they enjoyed themselves very much today.

I am glad that they enjoyed today but I also hope they will remember the reason/ the need for racial harmony. For those who wants to know more about Racial Harmony Day or the cause of it: 1964 Race Riots, or the Maria Hertogh Riots, click on the links. In case you are wondering how come I know about these historical events in Singapore? Well, I was teaching Social Studies and I was also the Coordinator for National Education. Lol. :)

No comments: