making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Wednesday 16 July 2008

Taiwanese Cuisine

Today, my mother cooked one of her Taiwanese dishes - Savoury Tang Yuan (Savoury Glutinous Rice Balls). This dish is not found in Singapore. Most people here are much more familiar with Tang Yuan as a dessert. But in Taiwan, we have Tang Yuan as a savoury dish too.

My mother first made the tang yuan dough from scratch and then made the minced pork filling for the tang yuan. So Savoury Tang Yuan is basically glutinous rice balls with pork filling instead of the usual sweet fillings of red bean, yam, peanut, etc. These savoury tang yuan are then cooked in soup and served with Tung Ho (a vegetable with a distinct taste). I love this dish because it is a refreshing change from the usual tang yuan dessert and I love glutinous rice balls, whatever the filling is. Lol. :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Yup! That's me. Glad u remember me! :) Have 2 boys. Now on maternity leave. Gave birth last month. Wow! I can see u're a food lover. Keep in touch too.

hweiming said...

Of course, I remember you! :)Congrats! Wow, now you are a mother of two. :) You take care and rest well!

Oh yes, eating is my therapy haha. :P Yes, do keep in touch. :)