making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Thursday 30 October 2008

Korea, COLD, Brr...

The flight to Korea took off at 11pm. I managed to sleep for 3 hours before breakfast was served at 3+ am. The plane landed at 6am Korean time (5am S'pore time). It was a breeze through customs and I collected my luggage by 6:35am. I caught the 6:45am bus to Gwanak-Gu where my hotel is.

I was dropped off at Gwanak-Gu Station at 8:15am. The place is already bustling with people going to work, going to school. After a while, I realised that I was lost! Hahaha. I tried asking people where my hotel, Stay Seven is but either they don't know or gave me conflicting directions. I was lucky though that a Seoul National University student helped me and in doing so, he actually missed his bus. I am really grateful to him. :) At least he got me in the right directions. However when I got to the junction, I was stumped because I had to exit through the subway exit and one particular one. No choice lor, had to call for help. I called my friend, the Korean Asst Prof haha. She was really helpful. She finally directed me in the right direction. Phew! :P


The bus stop from the airport to my hotel

The sun rising in Korea

After 45 minutes of wandering on the streets of Gwanak-Gu and 10 minutes of checking in, I finally got into my hotel room. :) It is a nice cosy studio apartment. :) It is small but it has got everything!







I was still pretty whacked out by my flight so I took a two hour nap before I went to the conference for registration at 1pm. Managed to get to the conference at 1:30pm taking the public transport where everything is in Korean lol. I was still quite tired so half the time, actually most of the time I spaced out at the conference haha. :P

In the evening, I went for dinner with my Korean friend. What I didn't realise was that the dinner was only for the conference committee members and keynoters. Oh dear, I felt a bit awkward lol. Oh well, for some authentic Korean food, I will bear with it hahaha. :P After dinner, my Korean friend asked her friend to give me a lift back to my hotel. That is really nice of them, taking care of me on my first day in Korea. :)


I had a nap after dinner as I was just too tired to prepare for my presentation tomorrow. I woke up around 12+ am (11+ am S'pore time). Ok, might as well look through my presentation stuff.


Preparing for my presentation while having the tv on :P

It is very cold in Korea. When I arrived this morning, it was only about 8 C. Maximum it went up to 14 C and in the night, it will drop to 4 C. But at least I will be in bed by then. Lol. :P

No comments: