making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Saturday 1 November 2008

Surprise!, Awards!, Sight-seeing :)

Today is the last day of the conference and it was held at a different location from the past 2 days at the Museum of Art (MoA), Seoul National University (SNU) and it started a little later at 10:30am. I arrived about 10am and I took the opportunity to take some photos of the MoA, SNU and its surrounding.

The main entrance of Seoul National University (SNU)

The MoA at SNU

The lecture hall at MoA, SNU

The conference started with two Plenary sessions and closed with an Award Ceremony and Closing. There were two awards for Outstanding Presentation and two for Best Poster Presentation as well as 5 International Fellowship Awards. The first recipient for the Best Oral Presentation award was called. Soon, it was the second recipient's turn. I could hardly believe my ears when I heard my name! I just sat there stunned for a second. I just couldn't believe that I actually won an Outstanding Presentation Award!!! Never in my dreams did I dream of getting such an award so early in my career as a researcher. :) :) :) As I was getting the award, the keynoter who gave me his name card shouted, "Good choice!". Hahaha. I am much encouraged with this award as it is recognition of my ability as a researcher. :) I am also one of the five recipients for the International Fellowship Award. Again, had cheers from people. :) I felt really surprised, happy and proud. :) :)

After the conference, we had lunch at one of the restaurants on SNU campus. I had Japanese Katsu with Rice as the Korean dishes weren't suitable for me. Sigh. But the katsu was really delicious. :)


The side dishes

The salad and pumpkin porridge, really yummy the porridge :)

My katsu

The Korean profs I have met at the conference

At 2pm, we met up at the keynoters' residence to go together for the tour. There were 6 of us (3 keynoters + 1 spouse and 2 grad students) accompanied by 4 student volunteers who took us on our tour.

First stop was Unhyungung, a palace court which consisted of several building of architectural history and beauty. There was a professional guide waiting for us who took us on a tour of Unhyungung.







Next she took us to Bukchon where several other traditional houses are such as The Han Sang Soo Embroidery Museum, Gahoe Museum and others. The traditional houses were beautiful and you are faced with archaic scenes everywhere you turned. It seemed like we have been transported back in time.

One of the traditional houses

There is a wine tasting session of the various rice wine, fruit wine, herbal wine going on

The Han Sang Soo Embroidery Museum

Outside of the Embroidery Museum

Gahoe Museum where there is kite painting and painting that has been preserved from 100+ years ago

Having tea at Gahoe Museum



Our group photo consisting of 3 keynoters :P

For dinner, our student guides took us to Insa-Dong, an area which sells traditional Korean handicrafts and souvenirs. We had really nice dinner at this Korean restaurant. I was really full lol.

Insa-dong, famous traditional shopping area







After dinner, we went to Insa-Dong for some shopping. We all managed to buy something before we returned to our respective accommodation by our student guides around 8:30pm.

The only Starbuck cafe with its name in Hanguel in Seoul (sorry was a bit blur but hands too tired to hold steady after carrying shopping bags lol)

I really had a great time today. First, I won an award that I never in my life expected I would. Second, I got to know some people better. Third, I got to see the cultural and historical aspects for Korea which is very meaningful for me. Fourth, I got to do some shopping, haha. :)

No comments: