making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Sunday 4 January 2009

Volunteer Work

Due to unexpected circumstances, early in the morning like 7am, I was woken up to go in place of my father to be a volunteer.

My mother's temple was giving lunch to people with cerebral paralysis (both adults and children). Her temple would invite different groups of people with special needs 4 to 6 times a year and treat them to lunch as well as give each of them a goodies bag and an ang bao.

We helped out with preparing the food early in the morning. When the people started arriving around 11am, we helped to settle them down at the tables as some of them were in wheelchairs. There were about 19 tables of 10 persons each table. Around 12 noon, we started to serve lunch. Lunch ended around 1:30pm but we had to clear up the place. We only got home close to 2:30pm.

It was really tiring as we were on our feet most of the time since 7am+ until 2pm. Although very tiring physically, I felt very good emotionally. I looked upon it as my way of repaying society. The experience also made me very appreciative and thankful for what I have -good health and healthy children.

No comments: