making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Wednesday 3 June 2009

Day Three: Conference

I picked up my buddy, Prof Hannele N from her accommodation and brought her early to the LT for preparation for her keynote presentation before 8am. As usual, like for the past two days, I ran between the two LTs to upload the PowerPoints and/ or make sure the IT equipment are set up for the keynoters. There were again two concurrent keynote speeches in the morning: one on PISA by Prof Hannele N and one on educational research by Prof Erica M. I attended the keynote about PISA as Singapore will be participating in PISA 2009 and I was interested to know the reasons for the success of Finland in PISA. :)

After the keynote session was a panel session on the UK TLRP programme followed by lunch. After lunch, I helped my buddy to sort out her flight booking as she was leaving immediately for the airport after the Keynoters Roundtable and Closing Ceremony at 5:30pm. I supported a good friend by attending his presentation which was before the Keynoters Roundtable. His presentation was most interesting and unconventional. :)

I really enjoyed the Keynoters Roundtable. All the keynoters: Profs Hannele N, Deborah B, Erica M, David B, Andrew P (an invited panelist), Magdelena M (except for Prof Roy P who has left), gave their views on various issues. It was extremely insightful to hear from our superstars of education on the various issues of assessment, IT, etc.

The closing ceremony commerced after the roundtable. The conference co-convenor gave thanks to a number of people, especially D and S who really deserved the thanks! :) After the closing ceremony, I had a really wonderful surprise which I will remember for the rest of my life. The panel of keynoters indicated for me to go up to them on the stage. Thinking that they wanted me to do something, I went. Who would have guessed what they did next. I had the whole panel of keynoters giving me thanks in unison! I would never in a million year dreamt of such a thing happening: the superstars of education thanking me! :) Later one keynoter told me that they were baffled that I wasn't in the thank you list so they decided to do it themselves. I think the keynoters' gesture to give me thanks, on their own accord, meant a lot more to me. I was extremely happy and touched by them that they actually recognised and appreciated my efforts. :) I will always treasure that moment. :)





After the conference, my colleague and I sent Prof Hannele N to the airport. She too has been most appreciative of my assistance throughout the conference. She hopes that I will one day go to Finland, either for conference, short-term studies or even if it is just for holiday. She would be most happy to see me again. :)

I finally got home close to 7:30pm. I have definitely earned a well-deserved rest. :)

No comments: