making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Thursday 3 December 2009

Memory Lane

I decided to take a trip down memory lane. I took an afternoon flight to Brisbane. Another uni friend met up with me and put me up at her place.
It is really wonderful to be back in Brisbane. The last time I was here was in 2005 but as I was with the kids, it was a different experience. Finally I am in Brisbane by myself again as I was all those years ago. In some sense, it is as if I have come home.

It took me some courage before I could go back to my apartment at St Lucia where I spent 3 years of my life. I collected my house keys from a family friend who is looking after my apartment all these time I am away. As I stepped into my apartment, I was transported back in time. I saw the ghost of a younger me who was learning to live alone, learning to be independent, learning to be and finally becoming what and who I am today. Everything is as it is in my apartment. It was as if I have only left yesterday and have now returned home to continue with my life. The closets are still full of my clothes, the drawers full of my stuff, and the shelves full of my books. I thought I was strong enough to pack some of my stuff away but I found I couldn't. There is still so much emotional and physical attachment to the place where I grew up. But I needed the closure, I needed to say the good-bye I never got to say when I left back in the 90s as I have always thought I would be back and stay for good in Australia. I won't deny that there is some tinge of regret that I never followed through with my PRship. If I could turn back time...

I locked up my apartment again and left for The University of Queensland which is just round the corner. Again, I saw the ghost of my younger self walking along the sidewalk going to uni, attending lectures at the Forgan-Smith Lecture Hall, researching in the Undergrad and Main Libraries, walking round The Great Court, having lunch at the Main Refect and having exams and graduating in the Great Hall. It was wonderful to see UQ again after all these years. I hope one day, one of my girls can come and study at this great uni.


Me at The Great Court

Part of The Great Court

After visiting my apartment and UQ, my friend cheered me up by taking me to Nando's. :) There is now a branch just at the corner of Sir Fred Schonell Drive and Mitre Street. I had the Portuguese Paella. Bloody delicious! I will be craving for Nando's when I go back to Singapore. I wish they have Nando's in Singapore.


It is a trip down memory lane for me. I have never realised I have kept so much of my feelings and memories back until I am back here again in Brisbane. I am glad that my friend gave me the space and time that I needed to be alone with my tears and my memories. Thanks. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

hweiming said...

Thanks for your praise and encouragement. :)

PS Thanks too for following and reading my blog all these while. :) Really appreciated it.