making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Thursday 7 January 2010

Kindle

My colleague recently bought a new electronic gadget. He brought it to show us in the office. It is a Kindle Wireless Reading Device.

The Kindle is pretty amazing. It is really thin and lightweight. The display screen looks like and reads like that of printed paper and there is hardly any glare even when I stood under the light! Really good for people with astigmatism like me haha. :) The Kindle can hold more than 1500 books, newspapers and magazines. And what's best for us researchers, it can also download journal articles onto it. :) In addition, you can change the text size which you can't do with books, newspapers and magazines. Good for those of us who are getting older haha. :P

However I am in two minds about getting a Kindle for myself. The Kindle will definitely help to free up space in my room (from more and more books that I am buying haha), cut down on waiting time for paperbacks and such and it is definitely convenient as you can have a number of books on hand to read at any one time. However, I am still an old-fashion kind of person when it comes to reading. I love books. I love nothing better than to feel each page as I turn it, to hear the rustle of the pages, to inhale the scent of books... I just love being with books, otherwise I wouldn't have been a librarian and head librarian for 6 years! And also with technology, it keeps advancing. What can be read today on Kindle might not be supported by newer reading devices a few years down the road... So I am in two minds... I guess if I ever buy a Kindle, I will still buy the physical books especially if they are books that I want to collect and keep. So much for saving on space huh lol. :P

No comments: