making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Wednesday 10 February 2010

Fire Drill

I was in counselling with a student today when a loud "RRRIINNGG" interrupted our session. Although I had been warned by the school that there would be a fire drill today at 9:05am, I was still shocked out of my skin. :( I told the student to join her class first while I grabbed my handbag and switched off the electrical appliances before assembling in the field with the rest of the school.

It was interesting watching the fire drill as an observer. I was previously involved in fire drills when I was a school teacher so I was right in the buzz of things. Now I can actually take a step back and observe what's going on with the teachers, school staff, and students. It was interesting noting everyone's reactions - excitement on the students' faces, stressed out looks on the teachers' faces, indifference on the school staff's faces. As for me, an intense look on my face as I try to read everyone's facial expressions lol. Occupational hazard! :P


After half an hour, the normal school routine resumed. I went back to my counselling but now the fire drill became a topic with the rest of the counsellees as it was the most exciting thing of the day haha. Oh dear, what happened to "learning is exciting"?? Ok, ok, another occupational hazard, once a teacher always a teacher lol. :)

No comments: