making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Thursday 25 March 2010

Handy Woman

When Marieann was packing her school bag before she went to bed, she somehow managed to pull out the slider (the device that moves up and down the chain to open or close the zipper) after zipping up her bag. :( Her father's immediate reaction was "Buy a new bag". Sigh. Marieann was quite upset and was trying frantically to fix her bag.

I told her to go to bed and took over trying to fix the zipper. After 15 minutes and with the help of a screwdriver, I managed to force the slider back onto the chain (the continuous piece that is formed when both halves of a zipper are meshed together). The zipper is back in business! :)

I told Marieann not to zip up her bag all the way to the end but to leave a gap so that the same problem doesn't occur. Marieann was delighted and impressed that I repaired her bag and wanted to know how I did it. I took it as an opportunity for teaching. I told her her grandfather taught me to be handy with tools and she should learn to be the same. :)

No comments: