making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Wednesday 10 March 2010

Wong Clan Genealogy

Recently, my cousin came to visit us and bringing with him a huge red hard cover book measuring 4 inches in thickness. It is our Wong Clan genealogical record, also known as the Jia Pu, Zu Pu or Zhong Pu. The Zu Pu is a record of a clan's history and lineage. It documents the origins of the surname, the migration patterns of the clan, the family lineage, the ancestral biography, the ancestral locality, birth and marriage records, honours and achievements, etc.

Flipping through the Zu Pu makes me in awe of my Wong Clan ancestry. I am the 34th generation of the Wong clan. The 1st generation started in 854 A.D.! That's a total of 1156 years in between! Mind you, we are only the descendants from a particular branch of the Wong clan. There will be other branches of the Wong clan that dates back even further.

I am really proud to be a Wong. Once a Wong, always a Wong. :)

No comments: