making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Saturday 1 May 2010

AERA 2010: Work and Play

Work
I attended the invited session at 8:15am and met up with one of the keynoters who was at the conference in Singapore last year as well as his wife. They were really delighted to see me again and invited me to have dinner with them. That was really nice of them and I accepted the invite. :)
I also attended my boss's roundtable session at 12.25pm because I wanted to see what's a roundtable session like as well as to give support to my boss, not that my boos needs support since he is a veteran AERA attendee lol.
Just before attending the roundtable session at 12.25pm, I grabbed a quick lunch at Corner Bakery Cafe. I had The Trio (under US$8) which allowed to choose any 3 salads from the menu list so I had the DC Chicken Salad, Tuna Salad and Egg Salad. The Trio was really delicious and filling. I was struggling to finish it lol. :P




Play
I met up with David and Ursula for dinner. They took me to this really nice Italian restaurant, Venice Ristorante & Winebar near Union Station.
We shared a Antipasto “Venezia” (US$17). I ordered a Risotto all’ Aragosta e Fragole (US$21): Imported Italian rice, lobster, fresh strawberries and lobster sauce. I didn't take note of what David and Ursula but all the dishes looked great and I am sure all tasted fantastic. Mine did! The sweet-sour taste of strawberries went well with the risotto and the sauce. The lobster (real lobster meat, huge chunks!) was succulent and full of bite. Heavenly. :) I had to doggy bag my risotto as the portion was huge lol. :P (Sorry, no photo to show. Have to maintain some form of decorum in front of 2 prominent professors. lol)
After dinner at 7.30pm Denver time (5.30am Singapore time), David and Ursula showed me the other side of AERA. Colleagues back home, you may know this but you may not. There is another side to AERA, other than the all seriousness during the day of presentations and discussions. It is the playfulness (and wild in some cases) of AERA which happens after dark! Haha. There are parties which are organised by the various universities and special interest groups. David and Ursula took me to the School of Education, Stanford University party where I was introduced to a number of their friends, all prominent in their area of research. I felt honoured. :) Next, we went to another SIG party where they presented a lifetime award to another of their friend.
Finally, we went to the best party of AERA, the Latino party haha. It seemed really surreal that I was brought to the best AERA party by 2 elderly professors who really enjoyed themselves too! :) There was lots of dancing to Latino music. So much fire, passion and life! :) I got to meet some of David's and Ursula's friends and they all made me feel right at home at the Latino party. :)



I was dropped back at my apartment at 11.30pm Denver time (9.30am Singapore time).

What a day! I think this is the best conference I have attended so far haha. :P I know what I will be doing at the next AERA. :P I feel really honoured that David and Ursula took me under their wings, took the time to show me the ropes about AERA, introduced me to their friends and most importantly, they are encouraging and supportive of my work, they treated me as a colleague, regardless of the fact that I am still very young in my career. :) Thank you so much.

No comments: