making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Wednesday 16 June 2010

Duanwu Festival - Family Time Again

It is Duanwu Festival today and it is a public holiday in Taiwan. Most Taiwanese families would take the opportunity today to pay respects and pray to their ancestors as well as visit families.

My mother brought us to visit my uncle who lives in Tamshui. The girls were thrilled by the fish pond and the huge koi in it. Another of my mother's long-time friend, Aunt Principal (when I first met her, she was a principal of a kindergarten, the name just got stuck lol) were at my uncle's place as well as my cousin is currently back in Taipei for a week with her Japanese husband. We had a nice cosy chat over a delicious home-cocked lunch.



The girls and Aunt Principal

The girls eating traditional ice cream sticks

Family photo again :)

After 2pm, my aunt drove us and Aunt Principal to Tamshui Old Street to have a look around. It was extremely crowded as it was a public holiday. We bought more souvenirs and local produces for family and friends back home. :) The girls also played a shooting game and both won prizes lol. Just after 4pm, we parted ways with Aunt Principal (grandaunt to the girls) at the Tamshui station where we took the Metro to Xindian to visit another friend of my mother's.

Tamshui Old Street - see how crowded it is just after 2pm.

Juliane at Fisherman's Wharf, Tamshui

At Xindian MRT Station waiting for the train

My mother's friend treated us to a vegetarian food buffet at Lien Shiang Zhai. I was surprised to learn that there is actually a restaurant that caters just vegetarian food. There was a wide selection of dishes, both Western and Eastern. I was amazed at the creativity of the chefs to come up with the various dishes with the various vegetables! The dishes I tried were delicious and sad to say I didn't have enough room in my stomach to taste every dish. :( Note to self: Must COME BACK again in the future! Hahaha.



Vegetarian sashimi

No comments: