making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Saturday 2 October 2010

Art is Alive

Since Marieann is interested in art and Alive Gallery is ending its run on 3 October, we brought the girls to Alive Gallery at Downtown East. This is the Children's Day compensation for the girls. As we were in the line to buy the tickets, this lady came up to me and offered me 4 tickets. She explained that she had 6 tickets but she would only need 2 tickets for herself and her nephew. She gave me the remaining tickets and left. Bless her, what a kind soul. She saved us from paying $50 for the Family deal. :)

The girls were most enthralled by the paintings that came "alive", e.g. the ancient Egyptian drawings on papyrus, the Greek gods and goddesses, da Vinci's "The Last Supper", Michelangelo's "The Sistine Chapel Ceiling Fresco" as well as great artists like Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Claude Monet and Jean Millet who told inside stories of their works to the audience. I am surprised that Marieann recognised some of the art work on display, e.g. The Birth of Venus, The Gare St-Lazare by Monet. She is really interested in art. :) A strict no photography policy was enforced throughout the gallery except at 2 photo-taking points: mocks of the paintings - The Avenue at Middelharnis by Meindert Hobbema and Van Gogh's Cafe Terrace at Night. We had fun pretending to be in the "paintings" while the girls' father took our photos. :)

After the visit to Alive Gallery, we browsed around Downtown East. Juliane and I went for a ride on the indoor Ferris wheel while Marieann worked on stain glass art. The girls were really happy about their belated Children's Day celebration. :)


Juliane and I taking the Ferris wheel ride

Before going to Alive Gallery, we had brunch at Hatched which is down the road from where we stay. The girls shared a Pancake Party ($10): 3 pancakes with caramelised banana. I had a Ozzy Baked Egg ($8) with bacon, mushroom and tomatoes and cheese on top as well as a Blueberry Bircher Muesli ($4). I was hungry haha. I just love bircher muesli! :) Used to have it as breakfast every morning throughout my student life. The girls' father had Waffle with ham and egg.



The bacon, mushroom and tomatoes in my baked egg. Simple dish but filling.

My bircher muesli with rolled oats, raisins, green apple and milk. YUM! :)


Hatched candies given to my girls by the Hatched staff

No comments: