making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Friday 25 March 2011

Firstborns more Prone to Food Allergies

According to a Japanese study, presented at the 2011 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology in San Francisco, firstborn siblings are more likely to suffer from food allergies than their younger brothers and sisters. (The abstract for the study can be found at http://annualmeeting.aaaai.org/, and is No. 525.) (Source: Yahoo News, AFP Relax 24 March)
I think there is truth to this study. Based on my personal experience. :P I am a firstborn and I suffer from several allergies. I suffer from swelling of the airways, swelling of the eyelids, and difficulty breathing (the most severe allergic reaction symptoms. SIGH). My brother used to call me goldfish eyes because my eyes would swell up (HUGE) whenever I have an allergic reaction. Every now and then, I still suffer from them. :( I also know of two other firstborns who suffer from food allergies - my eldest nephew in UK, and a family friend's firstborn son.

No comments: