making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Tuesday 1 November 2011

A Great Fall

I had a great fall at workplace today. :(
As I was going to my office, I used the Basement 4 to get to the lift that services the floor where my office is. There is some works being done at the Basement 4 and one of the machinery that was being maintained was leaking oil or some kind of liquid. I failed to see the oil stain on the floor as the floor was a of a slight reflective material and the whole area was dimly lit. A colleague was walking with me when I fell. He cried out a warning to me but it was too late. Everything was in slow-mo. I could hear the last echo of his warning as I was suspended in mid-air before dropping heavily onto the floor with my notebook bag in one hand and my books, iPad and Kindle in another bag in the other hand. If my hands were free, I could have break my fall. Sigh. I pulled something in my lower back when I fell. :(

Once I got back to office, I fired an email to the Estate Department to tell them about the workplace hazard. By noon, they have cordoned off part of the corridor that was affected by the leak, put up warning signs around the area, mopped up the leak, and put up mats for walking. All these were only done after my complaint. Apparently, the leak had been going on for some time before it covered a big area of the corridor. If only the estate department was more vigilant...

No comments: