making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 26 March 2012

Finally, a DR!

At 11.20am, I am officially Dr. Wong Hwei Ming! :)
My oral defense started at 9.40am. There were four people in the panel, not including my supervisor who was present to give her support. However, the examiner is now in Hong Kong so we had to link via Skype. It was kind of unusual for me, presenting to four people and a computer lol. There was a small audience too, made up mainly of my friends and supporters and my PI! Haha.
I was pretty nervous when I started but the panel was really nice and put me at ease. It helped too that I could always look to the audience to see my good friends smiling at me and giving me the thumbs up. :) Thanks, Guys! Your presence really meant a lot to me. :)
Actually, the presentation was still not too bad lol. The most scary part was the Q & A. I thought I won't be able to get through it. But again, the panel was most encouraging. I got the better of my nerves and became more confident as I answered each question. Before I know it, it was the end. The audience and I were invited out so that the panel could discuss the outcome of my oral defense. My friends were really nice and waited with me even though they didn't have to. 10 minutes later, I was called back into the meeting room. The examiner was really cute and called me Dr Wong even before the Head of the panel could announce the results to me lol. :P
After the panel left, my friends came back into the room to congratulate me. It suddenly became overwhelming for me and I burst into tears. :P It's tears of happiness, tears of relief, tears of disbelief. After seven years, I have finally gotten my PhD.
Thank you to everyone who has given me advice, support and encouragement over the years when I was on my Phd journey.
It feels GOOD to have finally arrived. It feels GOOD to be called Dr Wong hahaha. :P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on your phd ms wong - or should i say dr wong! i'm glad your hard work paid off! may you enjoy a well-deserved break! love, an old student

hweiming said...

Thank you so much. It wasn't just my hard work alone. Many others have contributed in one way or another. I had the support and encouragement of many people such as my parents, my colleagues, my friends, my former students, my former lecturers, ... Without all of you, I won't be where I am today! THANK YOU!