making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Wednesday 1 August 2012

Convocation 2012

My convocation ceremony was today! However, I woke up feeling quite indifferent and went about my usual routine. I had counselling in the morning and returned home around 2pm. I tried to rest but I guess I started to feel excited by then lol. By 4pm, my parents and I took a cab down to NTU Auditorium where my convocation ceremony was being held. Unfortunately I was only given two tickets so my girls couldn't attend.
Oh my goodness, I have never seen so many people! I was really overwhelmed by the sheer number of people and the sheer weight of my PhD gown, bonnet and hood lol. I felt really proud that I was graduating in my PhD gown. :) I also felt like a character in Harry Potter haha. :P Had quite a few stares from people lol. Oh they might have been staring because the gown was too big on me and not because I am wearing a PhD gown. :P I met my friends and mentors and we took a few photos before we had to adjourn and be seated at the auditorium by 5.30pm.
The ceremony started at 6pm, with the Director NIE giving the opening speech, followed by the Guest-of-Honour, Professor Lin Goodwin giving her speech. Her speech was really inspiring and I was touched. Then it was our moment, the graduands going up on stage to receive our degrees. It started with the Doctor of Philosophy graduands, about 20 of us. I felt extremely proud when my name was called. It finally sank in that I am now and forever, Dr Wong Hwei Ming. :) After the PhD graduands, it was the turn of 590 Masters graduands. The whole ceremony lasted for an hour and a half. It was physically grueling for us, or rather for me because the gown was really heavy and I was clapping after every name was called. At the end of the ceremony, my shoulders were cramping up and really sore. :(
After the ceremony, I managed to take more photos with my family and friends. :) There was also a reception and the food was pretty nice lol. My parents were dropped off at home before I joined a few friends for a celebratory dinner. :) 

My proud parents and I

My favourite PI who walked all the way from NIE campus to the auditorium to give me support! Really Grateful! :)

Asst Prof Sim. Thank you for your support.

Inside the auditorium before the ceremony started

Assoc Prof Low. Thank you for your support!

Assoc Prof Wong, my PGDE lecturer since 1996! Thank you for your support and guidance over the many, many years. :)


My PhD buddy, Dennis. Hurry, your turn next year!
I have finally graduated! Thank you to everyone who were at the ceremony and also to those who were watching the live streaming of the ceremony!! Thank you for your support and for sharing in my happiness! 

No comments: